ISLAMABAD - A three-member probe committee has conducted interviews of 30 officers of the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in the illegal appointments case. The committee will also summon director and DG-level officers in the second and third phase in the same case, The Nation has learnt.

In the light of the Supreme Court judgment, the NAB had issued show cause notices to its 50 officers for personal hearings in the illegal appointments case.

The committee will also conduct interviews of the remaining 20 officers in the next two days.

The committee headed by Establishment Division Secretary Mian Asad Hayauddin examined the educational and experience certificates of the officers .

The committee has also reviewed the process of the NAB officers’ appointments to check if they were made on merit or not. 

Last month, the SC had directed the committee to submit its report in the illegal appointments case in the next two months.

On March 31, 2017, the apex court formed a probe committee headed by former Establishment Division secretary, while the NAB Director-General (Human Resource) Malik Shakeel and member of the Federal Public Service Commission Habibullah Khattak were appointed as members.  On the direction of the committee, the anti-graft body had issued show cause notices to more than 102 officials, including four DGs, in the illegal appointments case, a few months ago.

The inquiry committee, however, could only scrutinise the appointment cases of 52 officers of grade-18 and submitted its report to the Supreme Court with the recommendations for further action in this regard.

On October 26, the NAB prosecutor presented the report before the SC and informed that the committee reviewed cases of 52 officers out of 102 till then.

He said that the process of scrutiny of the bureau’s officers was stopped after the retirement of former secretary Establishment Division. The SC appointed the incumbent secretary Establishment Division as head of the committee and directed to submit its report in two months.

The NAB DG (Operations) Zahir Shah, while talking to The Nation, said that the interviews of additional director-level officers were under process.  He said the inquiry committee would issue show cause notices to director-level officers in the second phase, which would start by the end of the third week of November.

Shah said the committee would also summon few DGs in the same case.

Sources mentioned that the committee would call the four DGs of the NAB in the illegal appointments case.

They said these four DGs were inducted in the NAB in the last caretaker government.