PESHAWAR - Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly through a unanimously passed resolution on Tuesday called for abolishing the Earthquake Reconstruction and Rehabilitation Authority (ERRA), besides transferring its funds to the provincial government to utilize the same for earthquake affected areas.
JUI-F MPA from Kohistan Maulana Asmatullah Khan moved the resolution carrying the signatures of the PML-N’s Sardar Aurangzeb Nalota, Nagina Khan, Shah Hussain Khan, Wajeehuzaman Khan, after speaker relaxed rules with the consent of the House.
“This august house demands of the federal government to abolish ERRA and transfer all the funds to the provincial government to be utilized on quake affected areas through concerned provincial department” said the resolution.
Moreover, the lawmakers prayed for the departed soul and extended sympathies with the members of bereaved families. Special Assistant to Chief Minister on Higher Education Mushtaq Ghani drew the house attention to October 8, 2005, when thousands of people were killed, many more injured after a severe earthquake hit Hazara Division. He said that more than 80,000 people had died and another 600,000 people displaced in the devastative earthquake. Despite the passage of eight years, the quake-affected people are still living under the open sky, he said.
Some 6,000 schools collapsed in earthquake while the less damaged were destroyed by ERRA and PERRA and now 2500 schools were running their affairs under open sky, which he said, was regrettable. Billions of funds were given to ERRA and PERRA but nothing practical was done for the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the affected areas suggesting abolishing of ERRA .
Lawmakers Maulana Asmatullah, Qalandar Lodhi, Sardar Aurangzen Nalota also backed the demand about ERRA saying it has failed to deliver.
Earlier, ANP Sardar Hussain Babak deplored the government crackdown on small business centers in University Town including schools, guest houses, beauty parlors etc saying it was giving wrong message not only to the national and international level.
Minister Habibur Rehman said that the government had taken action after the verdict of the Peshawar High Court and after the complaints of the dwellers. He said proper sites had been reserved for schools, hotels and other business centers outside the residential areas.