ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court on Monday said that former president General (r) Pervez Musharraf should surre nder himself before court in accordance with the law in Benazir Bhutto murder case.
A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry and comprising Justice Khilji Arif Hussain and Justice Tariq Parvez was hearing a plea seeking orders for registration of a second First Information Report (FIR) against Musharraf and 12 others in the Benazir Bhutto assassination case. The bench also directed the respondents to file their replies by April 16.
Federal Investigation Agency's (FIA) prosecutor Chaudhry Azhar told the court that despite having received the summons, Musharraf did not furnish any reply.  He said Musharraf 's arrest warrants were issued and he was declared absconder by the Rawalpindi Anti-Terrorism Court due to his continuous absence.
He said FIA had approached Interpol for arrest of Pervez Musharraf .
Justice Tariq Parvez noted that the apex court had also issued summons for Musharraf on the FIA's application, which according to reports had already been received by him.
The chief justice observed that Pervez Musharraf should hand himself over to the authorities and appear in the court. Justice Khilji Arif Hussain noted that the absconder should first surrender before the court according to law.
Raja Aamir Abbasi, counsel for Rehman Malik sough time for submitting reply which the court allowed and directed him to file it until April 16. Advocate Shehryar Khan told the court that he was not appearing as Musharraf’s counsel but because he was issued notice by the court.  The chief justice noted that no one was taking the case seriously as most of the respondents in the case neither did furnish their replies nor they turn up.
The 12 respondents are: Gen Musharraf , former Punjab chief minister Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi, Interior Minister Rehman Malik, former law minister Babar Awan, the then acting interior minister Lt-Gen (r) Hamid Nawaz, former Intelligence Bureau director general Ijaz Hussain Shah, former interior secretary Syed Kamal Shah, then spokesman of interior ministry Brig (r) Javed Iqbal Cheema, then Rawalpindi DCO Irfan Elahi, Rawalpindi SSP Saud Aziz and SPs Khurram Shehzad and Yasin Farooq.
On June 23, 2011, Rawalpindi Bench of the Lahore High Court had dismissed a plea of Chaudhry Aslam requesting the court to order placement of Babar Awan and Rehman Malik on the Exit Control List (ECL).
One of the judges had written an additional note that Chaudhry Aslam was neither an aggrieved party, nor a legal heir of Benazir Bhutto, thus he had no right to seek registration of FIR in the murder case of Benazir Bhutto.
According to Chaudhry Muhammad Aslam, he was trying for registration of second FIR since July 8, 2009, but in vain. In his SC plea he contended that Lahore High Court's June 23 decision was unlawful, perverse, without jurisdiction and based on the fanciful application of the mind.
He submitted that the high court had failed to give due consideration to the United Nations report on Benazir Bhutto's assassination on which $60 million were spent.