ISLAMABAD/LAHORE - United States yesterday hoped that peace talks between Pakistan and India will continue for bringing lasting peace and stability in the region.
US Secretary of State John Kerry rang up Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif yesterday evening and appreciated his careful handling of the situation after the terror attack at Indian airbase in Pathankot.
The prime minister apprised US Secretary of State about the swift investigations into Pathankot incident in the light of the leads provided by Indian authorities and hoped that soon they will unearth truth of the whole matter.
“Talks between Pakistan and India will continue despite efforts to thwart the process,” a Radio Pakistan report quoted Kerry as saying.
The prime minister reiterated his government’s resolve not to let anyone use Pakistan’s soil to carry out terror operations abroad.
Secretary Kerry extended full support to the PM in finding out the actual perpetrators behind Pathankot incident.
Sources in the government informed that both leaders also had a word on recent escalation in tension between Iran and Saudi Arabia and both of them were of the view that the issue should be resolved through negotiations.
On Thursday last a US State Department spokesman had said that it was up to the Pakistan government to determine how much time it would take to investigate the attack on the Indian air base in the light of the information provided by India .
PAK-INDIA TALKS ON TRACK: AZIZ
Speaking in Lahore earlier in the day, PM Adviser on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz said secretary level talks between Pakistan and India are likely to be held as per schedule.
“The schedule for secretary level talks was intact as of now and talks have not been cancelled,” Aziz said.
He said in a couple of days it would become clear whether or not dialogue between the two would take place. “If everything goes on as per decided programme, the secretaries would meet in Islamabad on January 15,” he said.
According to Sartaj Aziz Pakistan was investigating the attack.
To the question that how much the evidence provided by India was credible, the adviser said it would be determined after the investigation.
Earlier, Indian authorities said they were awaiting Pakistan’s response on the information provided by Delhi and the decision on resumption of dialogue would be made in the light of Islamabad’s reply.
India 's foreign ministry said Islamabad has been given actionable intelligence that those who planned the assault came from Pakistan .
"As far as we are concerned, the ball is now in Pakistan 's court," spokesman Vikas Swarup told reporters when asked if the talks would be held. "The immediate issue in front of us is Pakistan 's response to the terrorist attack."
Seven Indian security men and four suspected gunmen were killed during an assault on Indian air base near the Pakistan border, which threatened to undermine the two countries' fragile peace process.
A day after the attack and handing over of information to Pakistan by India Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had contacted his Indian counterpart Narendra Modi and assured him that his country would swiftly act on the leads provided by the India .
The prime minister after his return from Sri Lanka had held two high-level security meetings on the issue and he himself is monitoring the progress on the investigation being done on the leads provided by India .
Some insiders in the ruling PML-N said that the PM did not want to see the peace process derail and that was the reason he wanted to act diligently on the Indian leads so that the findings of Pakistan could not be put in question at any forum.