BAQUBA (AFP) - The Iraqi military imposed a curfew on the city of Baquba, north of Baghdad, on Tuesday after a suicide bomber killed three people and wounded seven in the Al-Qaeda stronghold. The curfew declaration came shortly after a suicide bomber detonated his explosives just outside the front gate of the city's police headquarters, interior ministry spokesman Abdul Karim Khalaf told AFP. "The bomb went off just 10 minutes before (Diyala) provincial) governor Raad Rasheed and I were intending to leave the headquarters," Khalaf said. Khalaf, who is in Baquba to help overseas military operations against Al-Qaeda in Diyala province, did not say if he thought the governor had been the target. On July 29, some 50,000 Iraqi soldiers and police launched a major push against Al-Qaeda and other insurgents in Diyala, which commanders describe as Iraq 's most dangerous province. The government suspended military operations on Monday to give insurgents a chance to turn themselves in, but in only 24 hours two bombers have struck the provincial capital Baquba. A day earlier six people died in two attacks in Diyala province, one a suicide bombing in Baquba in which a woman blew herself up in a central market. An Iraqi official in Baquba said the curfew started at midday (0900 GMT) and would end at 6 am (0300 GMT) on Wednesday. "We have information that suicide bombers equipped with explosive belts, arrived in Baquba to carry out attacks against security forces," the official said.