QUETTA  - Health Department has approached Home Department seeking enhanced security for doctors and other paramedical staff working at public hospitals in Quetta .
This demand came after Saturday’s deadly suicide attack and shooting at Bolan Medical Complex Teaching Hospital, where survivors of the attack on a women university bus were being treated. The blast at the hospital facility claimed lives of Quetta deputy commissioner, paramedical staff and security personnel, and left several others wounded.
Director General (Health Services) Dr Naseer Baloch stated this step had been taken to avoid such incidents in the future. “People are feeling unsafe as panic and fear still prevail. Security measures are desperately needed,” he said.
“If they feel insecure, it will be hard for them to perform their duties,” said another official, adding, “There is a need we protect doctors, nurses and other medical staff.”
After Saturday’s blasts and shooting, Bolan hospital was evacuated on Monday and all the patients were moved to Sandeman Hospital. However the patients are still not willing to stay at new facility fearing security risks.
Naseer Baloch said the blast and firing incidents at the hospital had proved that doctors and other staff members were vulnerable and needed protection. “All chief medical officers had been directed to report to the medical superintendent of Civil Hospital during the day of the blast because there was no security arrangement. The fear was obvious because the attackers could have targeted the civil hospital too,” he said, adding, “We have requested the Home Department to install walk-through gates at the entrance to state-run hospitals, including nursing hostels, because it will be hard for them to perform their duties under these circumstances.”
Quetta city is still in shock and has been mourning the deadly attacks on the women university bus and the hospital.
Following the attack on the bus carrying women students, the Sardar Bahadur Khan Women University was closed for an indefinite period on Monday. Also, security of all jails was tightened to avoid any attempt by banned outfits to release their operatives imprisoned in different jails, sources said.
They said security of 11 jails, including central jail Quetta and district jails, was beefed up. Jammers were also installed and use of mobile phone in jails was strictly prohibited.  Meanwhile, Balochistan Bar Council boycotted court proceedings in protest over killing of innocent people in bomb blasts in Quetta . Lawyers community lamented the loss of innocent lives. A press release issued by Balochistan Bar Council said killing innocent students was against Islamic teachings and tribal norms.