Mobile phone services were suspended Friday in Karachi and Quetta from 1pm to midnight on the directives of Federal Minister Rehman Malik in light of security concerns during 8th Muharram processions.
The federal interior minister further said that the ban included the PTCL’s wireless services and that instructions were issued for the removal of all garbage collection sites from Karachi.
In another news a senior police official while talking to media persons announced that motorcycles would be banned in Hyderabad from 8th to 10th of Muharram.
The Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa had earlier announced the suspension of mobile phone services in six districts of the province during the 9th and 10th of Muharram.
The six districts facing the suspension of cellular service are Peshawar, Dera Ismali Khan, Tank, Haripur, Mansehra and Kohat. The provincial government of KP had requested for the closure of services during three days, 8th to 10th of Muharram whereas the federal government approved the closure for 9th and 10th only.
The Balochistan government also announced the closure of cellphone services across the province during the Ashura holidays, whereas motorcycles would also be banned near sensitive locations in and around the provincial capital Quetta.
Earlier on Thursday Rehman Malik while talking to reporters had said that the government was working out a plan on the implementation of suspending mobile phone services in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad during the 9th and 10th as well as on Friday during the Friday prayer timings.