KARACHI - A high-powered committee, formed by Sindh government to restore peace in the province, decided on Saturday to recruit 10,000 cops in police department, besides inducting 3,000 men for the establishment of an elite force for countering terrorism. The first meeting of the committee was held at the Central Police Office Karachi with MPA Owais Muzaffar in chair on Saturday. Provincial Minister Jam Mehtab Dhar, Inspector General of Sindh Police Iqbal Mehmood, Additional IG Karachi Shayad Hayat, special sectary to chief minister Sindh, home sectary, DIG finance, DIG training Hyderabad, Larkana and other officials were present in the meeting. IG Sindh, briefing the committee about the law and order situation of the province, said department was establishing a special anti-right force comprising selected men from police and Rangers. He said in this regard the selected men of SRP would also be given training.On the occasion, the chairman of the committee Owais Muzaffar said it was the need of the hour that police system should be made better and effective. In this regard the IG Sindh should establish a sub-committee to review the police laws from year 1866 to 2002 and advance recommendations. On this, officials told the chairman that department had already completed this task and the recommendations had been forwarded to the home department.Owais directed IG Sindh and home department to finalise the system of the endorsement of the private security agencies and assess their training system. Taking a review of current law and order situation and the incidents of target killing, extortions, kidnapping and others, he directed the officials to take measures for curbing the criminal activities. Owais lauding the police efforts for restoring peace in the city ensured the officials that government would resolve the department issues on priority basis especially the shortage of staff strength. Meanwhile, Inspector General of Sindh Iqbal Mehmood suggested suspending the mobile service for a month in Karachi. He said the services on the pre-paid mobile SIMs should be halted on immediate basis while the mobile companies should only issue the SIMs to the people after the bio-metric process.This news was published in The Nation newspaper. Read complete newspaper of 27-Apr-2014 here.