NEW DELHI - On his first day in office, Indian Army Chief Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag Friday warned Pakistan that India’s response to any beheading-like incident in future would be “more than adequate, intense and immediate”.
“I can tell you that our response to any such act will be more than adequate in future. It will be intense and immediate,” he told reporters after his welcome guard of honour as chief of army staff.
The new army chief was asked how India gave a ‘befitting reply’ to Pakistan after the alleged beheading of Indian soldier Lance Naik Hemraj along the Line of Control in Poonch Sector on January 8, 2013, by Pakistani troops.
Previous Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh had yesterday stated that India had given a befitting reply to Pakistan after the alleged beheading incident. “Please understand that when we use force, that use is from operational to strategic levels,” he said.
Gen Suhag also expressed his gratitude to the government for reposing confidence in him. BJP had earlier opposed the process of designating Gen Suhag as the new chief by the UPA government in its last days in office in May.
Listing out his focus areas, Gen Suhag said, “They would enhance operational preparedness and the effectiveness of the Indian Army.”
“Force modernisation, infrastructure development, optimisation of human resources, welfare of serving personnel and ex-servicemen are issues that are very close to my heart.”