ISLAMABAD- The perturbed families in North Waziristan, which were reportedly migrating to Khost and Paktika, two adjacent Afghan provinces, due to fear of major military operation and Taliban infighting, have now stopped their exodus.
The local tribesmen after getting some relaxation in curfew and due to some other reasons have now stopped migrating to Afghanistan, as in recent past around 900 families have taken refuge in Khost and Paktika, Rustam Shah Mohmand, a senior member of government negotiating team for peace talks, shared with The Nation on Wednesday.
"They have stopped leaving their area due to relaxation in curfew and comparatively calm situation for the last couple of days," Mohmand added.
Among 900 families migrated recently to Afghanistan due to restless situation, Mohmand said, most of the folks preferred to go to Khost from different adjacent borders including Ghulam Khan border, Said Gai exit, Mada Khel etc.
About possible return of the migrated families, the government negotiating team member said that these worried families would possibly return to homes after the holy month of Ramazan. "It all depends upon law and order situation in the area, as in restless situation they might prefer to stay there," he viewed.
Meanwhile, sources in the area shared that the local tribesmen have stopped shifting despite the deadline set by Shura-e-Mujahedeen, advisory council led by Hafiz Gul Bahadur.
The issued statement cautioned local communities to shift their families to safer places until June 10, as after the expiration of the deadline clashes could erupt between security forces and militants.
When contacted, Prof Ibrahim, member of Taliban negotiation committee, claimed that he had conveyed to the government about tribesmen's intention to migrate to Afghanistan.
"I informed Interior Minister Ch Nisar Ali Khan on Feb 24, 2014 but due attention was not paid to this matter," said Ibrahim, viewing if attention had been paid on his alert, situation could be controlled.
"The government should talk to army about peace agreement, as such kinds of agreements have been made in the past," he argued.
Prof Ibrahim was not much optimistic about revival of negotiations in near future.
Another member of the committee, desiring not to be named, said that there was need to woo Hafiz Gul Bahadur to control the situation. "There is still time to woo Bahadur, as it will prove fruitful," he said, adding that there might be no progress in peace talks if this important step was not taken immediately.
Bahadur had signed peace accord with the government in October 2006. However, later due to some violations a new agreement was inked in August 2007, which is still intact.