RAWALPINDI - Indian forces continued firing at the Bhattal Sector along the Line of Control (LoC) for the second day on Monday, reported a TV channel. In the first incident, small arms and mortars were used by the Indian forces but the Pakistani troops responded swiftly to the offence, a military official said. Despite this, the Indian forces continued firing at the sector after midnight on May 12.
This is the fourth ceasefire violation by the Indian forces in the last three weeks. On April 25, after almost three months of calm, the two armies accused each other of breaching the ceasefire agreement following mortar shelling and firing in the Poonch Sector on the LoC. Three days later, the two sides exchanged fire again.
According to Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), the Pakistan Army had lodged a protest with the Indian authorities on Sunday over what is said to be the third violation of the Pakistan-India 2003 ceasefire agreement in the last three weeks.
Military officials said the army protested after the Indian troops resorted to unprovoked firing after midnight on May 11, at the Bhattal Sector of the LoC.
No casualties or damage to property have been reported so far.