YANGON (AFP) - A Myanmar court Friday postponed its verdict in the internationally condemned trial of Aung San Suu Kyi until August 11, adding to uncertainty over the ruling juntas plans for the democracy icon. Lawyers for the Nobel laureate said the judges announced they needed time to review the case, in which Suu Kyi faces up to five years in jail on charges of violating her house arrest after an American swam to her lakeside home. I believe they really have serious legal problems, her lawyer Nyan Win told reporters after the brief court hearing at Yangons notorious Insein prison. I do not want to say anything regarding politics. But could it be because of pressure from the UN or others? We do not know exactly but there might be something, he added. She should not have been charged in the beginning. The 64-year-old Suu Kyi had thanked diplomats for attending the hearing and told them that the outcome of the case mainly depends on the rule of law, said Nyan Win, who is also the spokesman for her National League for Democracy. Critics have accused Myanmars iron-fisted generals of using the intrusion by US national John Yettaw as an excuse to keep the opposition leader locked up during elections that are due in 2010. But the regime has appeared increasingly rattled by international outrage over the case, and despite widespread fears of a guilty verdict diplomats have speculated that the court may opt for a lesser sentence of house arrest. Suu Kyis international legal counsel, Jared Genser, said the latest postponement in the two-and-a-half-month trial was another attempt by the military government to deflect foreign criticism. It is in some ways a smart move push off the verdict until the middle of August when numerous government and United Nations officials around the world will be on vacation, Genser said in a statement. But it remains to be seen whether this ploy will work or if anticipation will be heightened in the run-up to the issuance of the verdict. Riot police surrounded the prison on Friday and police trucks patrolled the city following warnings in the junta-controlled state media that protests against a guilty verdict would not be tolerated. Around two dozen NLD members were arrested around the country on Thursday and Friday, according to an exile-based NLD group. There was no immediate confirmation from authorities or from Nyan Win. Myanmars junta has kept Suu Kyi in detention for nearly 14 of the past 20 years, since it refused to recognise the NLDs landslide victory in elections in 1990. Washington, which like the European Union has imposed sanctions against the Myanmar regime, demanded late Thursday that Suu Kyi and another 2,100 political prisoners in Myanmar should be immediately and unconditionally released. Myanmar junta chief Than Shwe snubbed UN chief Ban Ki-moons request to visit Suu Kyi when Ban visited the country in early July. Verdicts had also been expected Friday in the cases of Yettaw and of Khin Win and Win Ma Ma, two female aides who were living with Suu Kyi at the lakeside property when the American arrived there in the dead of night. The eccentric American greeted Suu Kyis lawyers in court on Friday with the words I love you, Nyan Win said. Daw Suu never talked to Mr Yettaw and tried not to talk to him because she doesnt want to be accused of further association with him, Nyan Win said. Yettaw, 53, from Falcon, Missouri, faces charges of abetting Suu Kyis breach of security laws, immigration violations and a municipal charge of illegal swimming. All three also face up to five years in prison. Yettaw has said that he embarked on his mission to warn Suu Kyi of a vision that she would be assassinated. He was arrested just days before the most recent, six-year spell of her house arrest was due to expire. Lawyers for Suu Kyi have argued that she cannot be held responsible for Yettaws actions, and that the legal framework for her initial detention at her house was under a 1975 law that has been superseded by later constitutions.