NEW YORK - A former head of the International Monetary Fund, Dominique Strauss-Kahn, has settled a lawsuit by a hotel maid who accused him of sexual assault, US media reported Friday.

Details of the deal, said to have been struck at the Bronx Supreme Court in recent days, are expected to be subject to a confidentiality agreement.

Strauss-Kahn was held in New York in May 2011 after Nafissatou Diallo said he assaulted her in his hotel suite. Prosecutors later dropped charges amid concerns about her credibility.

Unnamed sources close to Strauss-Kahn, quoted by France’s Le Monde newspaper, say he plans to pay Ms Diallo $6 million.

The sources say half will be paid by Strauss-Kahn and half will be loaned to him by his wife Anne Sinclair, from whom he formally separated last month.

After charges were dropped Ms Diallo, 33, opened a civil suit for undisclosed damages against the former French politician. Strauss-Kahn, 63, called the lawsuit defamatory and countersued. The sources say half will be paid by Mr Strauss-Kahn and half will be loaned to him by his wife Anne Sinclair, from whom he formally separated last month. After charges were dropped Ms Diallo, 33, opened a civil suit for undisclosed damages against the former French politician. Mr Strauss-Kahn, 63, called the lawsuit defamatory and countersued.

It was widely seen as having ruined his chance of becoming the socialist presidential candidate in his native France.

A court date between Strauss-Kahn and Ms Diallo’s lawyers is expected next week, although a day has not been set, reports the New York Times.

She told police that when she arrived to clean his luxury Manhattan hotel room, he forced her to perform oral sex on him.

He admitted to a “moral failing”, but said it was consensual. Earlier this year Mr Strauss-Kahn separated from his wife of some 21 years, Anne Sinclair.