RAMALLAH, West Bank, (AFP) - Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas threatened on Wednesday to abandon peace talks with Israel so as not to support its deadly aggression against Gaza. In televised comments, Abbas said he "would not hesitate to stop" the negotiations "if they go against our interests and offer a support to aggression", a reference to the five-day-old Israeli bombardment of Gaza that has killed at least 393 Palestinians. He denounced the bombardment as a "barbaric and criminal aggression." "The conflict will not end if the noble Palestinian people do not regain their rights. What end will negotiations serve if the doors remain closed," he said. "Even as we remain convinced of the strategy and the objective and our desire not to go back, we don't see why we should continue (with the talks) in the same manner that they have been conducted so far." Meanwhile, sources close to Arab League emergency talks in Cairo said on Wednesday that Arab nations will seek a United Nations Security Council resolution calling for a ceasefire in Gaza followed by a durable truce. The Arab plan will call for an immediate ceasefire, followed by a truce and an opening of the crossing points between Israel and Gaza with "an international mechanism" to guarantee Israeli and Palestinian compliance. If the Security Council does not adopt the resolution an Arab League summit will be convened, sources quoted foreign ministers from the 22-member bloc as agreeing before a final round of talks. The ministers will also call on US president-elect Barak Obama to make dealing with the Middle East conflict a priority when he assumes office on January 20. Arab League Secretary-General Amr Mussa earlier called for an immediate meeting of rival Palestinian factions, at the opening of the emergency session on how to deal with Israel's Gaza onslaught. Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal said Arab nations could not "extend their hand" to the Palestinians as long as they remained divided between Hamas in Gaza and President Mahmud Abbas' Fatah in the occupied West Bank. "It's time for Palestinian factions to hold a decisive meeting that will lead to (forming) a government of national unity," Faisal said. Abbas spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeina said the Palestinian leader was also in contact with members of the Security Council "in a bid to obtain a resolution... as soon as possible." Reflecting popular displeasure with the lack of Arab action, several protesters were arrested outside the Arab League headquarters in central Cairo on Wednesday. Egypt, which has been criticised by the likes of Lebanese movement Hezbollah for alleged complicity in the Gaza strikes and for not completely opening its Rafah crossing with Gaza, has said an Arab summit is premature. Meanwhile, Indian Home Minister P Chidambaram urged Israel to halt the airstrikes that have killed at least 390 Palestinians and injured thousands in the Gaza Strip. In Tokyo, Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso told his Israeli counterpart Ehud Olmert to halt air raids on the Gaza Strip. In a 20-minute telephone conversation, Aso expressed Japan's regret and urged Olmert to "swiftly stop the offensives", as many civilians were killed and harmed, the Japanese foreign ministry said in a statement. British Aid Minister Douglas Alexander announced $10m in emergency aid for the Gaza Strip, calling the humanitarian crisis there a "man-made catastrophe". In Brussels, thousands took to the streets calling for an end to Israeli bombing of Gaza, burning Israeli flags and urging European leaders to take action. Police said some 6,500 had turned out while organisers said 10,000 had answered the call to march through the Belgian capital, issued by 40 different groups, including the Belgian-Palestinian Association, Magasins du Monde and the Communist Workers League.