BEIRUT (AFP) - A UN-backed court on Thursday issued a long-awaited indictment and arrest warrants for the 2005 murder of Lebanon's ex-premier Rafiq Hariri, with members of the powerful Hezbollah reportedly among those named. Prosecutor General Said Mirza said he received the sealed indictment and arrest warrants in the case, which many fear could plunge the country into political crisis and spark sectarian unrest. The Netherlands-based Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) confirmed that it had issued an indictment Tuesday and submitted a copy and related arrest warrants to Lebanese authorities on Thursday. It disclosed neither the nature of the charges nor the identities of the suspects. Hariri's son and political heir Saad hailed the indictment as a "historic" moment for Lebanon and urged the government of Najib Mikati, dominated by Hezbollah and its allies, to cooperate with the STL. "After many years of patience, of struggle... today, we witness a historic moment in Lebanese politics, justice and security," Hariri said in a statement. He said government will deal "responsibly and realistically" with a UN indictment. A judicial official told AFP arrest warrants were issued for four Lebanese suspects, identified by local media as members of Hezbollah. Lebanese television channel LBC reported the suspects include Mustafa Badreddine, brother-in-law of Hezbollah top operative Imad Mughniyeh who was killed in a 2008 bombing in Damascus. Badreddine was said to have supervised the Hariri assassination. He had previously been arrested in Kuwait for planning to bomb the US embassy, LBC reported. Also among the four is Salim Ayyash, a Hezbollah member who holds US citizenship and headed the cell that carried out the bombing, LBC said. Hezbollah officials contacted by AFP declined to comment. But the party's Al-Manar television on Thursday dismissed the court as "politicised" and said it bore the mark of being at the service of intelligence agencies. The Iranian- and Syrian-backed group has warned it would "cut off the hand" of anyone who attempts to arrest party members linked to the February 14, 2005 seaside bombing that killed Hariri and 22 others. Hezbollah forced the collapse of Saad Hariri's Western-backed unity government in January after he refused to stop cooperating with the tribunal. Mikati, his successor, was appointed with the blessing of Hezbollah, Lebanon's most powerful political and military force. On Thursday, Mikati issued his government policy statement which failed to clearly spell out whether his cabinet would continue cooperating with the tribunal. "The government confirms that it will follow the progress of the Special Tribunal for Lebanon, which was set up in principle to see justice served in a manner that is neither politicised nor vengeful, and as long as it does not negatively affect Lebanon's stability and civil peace," read the ambiguously worded statement.