KARACHI - At least two people were killed while the Korangi deputy commissioner narrowly escaped a murderous attack in an armed assault on Saturday evening.
DC Zubair Channa was passing through the Korangi Industrial Area in a car when two armed men on a motorcycle opened indiscriminate firing at his vehicle and managed to flee. Channa remained safe in the attack , but his security guard was wounded.
On receiving information, law enforcers, including police and rangers, rushed to the site. Korangi SP Usman Bajwa said Zubair Channa remained safe in the attack , however, his security guard, Ishtiaq, was critically wounded. The injured guard was immediately moved to Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre for medical treatment.
SP Bajwa said Channa was on his way to the commissioner office to attend a meeting when the incident occurred. The initial investigation suggests that at least two armed men escaped after spraying bullets on the car. Bajwa further said the police had found two empty shells of the pistol used in the attack . The police are a trying to ascertain the actual motive behind the attack .
Separately, a member of Shia community was shot dead in an act of target killing in Khamosh Colony in Nazimabad within the limits of Gulbahar police station. The deceased was identified as Ghulam Abbas Naqvi, 35, son of Jaafer Imam Naqvi. Police officials said he was working as a librarian with a private television. Khalid said at least two armed men riding a motorcycle targeted him after he left the home for work. Police said the motive behind the incident had yet to be ascertained.
In another incident, a young man was found dead in the Dhobi Ghat area in the limits of Garden police station. The deceased was, later, identified as Anwar Khan, 30. SHO Asif Munawar said the deceased was a drug addict.
SIX JEWELLERY SHOPS ROBBED: Bandits robbed at least six jewellery shops in the limits of Yousaf Plaza police station.
Following the robberies, the traders of the market shut their shops and chanted slogans against the robbers and police. They blocked the road to protest the robberies.
“Around a dozen armed men entered the market and closed all the entry and exit points. They held all of us hostage at gunpoint and within 15 minutes completed their swift operation,” the protesters said.
On the other hand, SHO Irfan Khan said gold was robbed from only two shops while artificial jewellery was looted from the remaining shops.