A human rights activist and lawyer submitted an application to the police, seeking registration of an FIR against the high-ups of the Communication and Works (C&W) Department and a contractor over negligence that resulted in death of a local.

According to detail, Advocate Sajidullah submitted an application to the Chitral Police SHO, demanding registration of a case against the Communication and Works department Executive Engineer Muhammad Asif Imran, Secretary Hammad Khan Orakzai, Chief Engineer Ijaz Khan Yousafzai and a contractor Arshah Shaheen, whose Shaheen construction company has been working on Abdul Wali Khan bypass road portion No-1, in the death case of Abdul Haleem, son of Rahmat Wali Shah, a resident of Shagroom Terich upper Chitral.

Talking to this scribe Advocate Sajidullah who also working for human rights said that Abdul Haleem was going on his motorbike near Chew bridge 2 days back on Abdul Wali Khan bypass road when he was hit by rolling stone and heavy debris from mountain. As a result he received critical head injuries and breathed his lost on the spot.

The lawyers came with a plea that due to negligence of C&W staff and suspension of works for so many years as well as blocking of half road with stones this accident occurred. He said that contractor put heavy stones after compaction on half portion of road as a result public are compel to travel under risky mountainous road where heavy stones rolling every times. He said that contractor disturbed hard rock but did nothing for its protection as a result land sliding and rolling stones killed one person and it is feared that it might took lives of so many people in future if necessary steps are not taken.

He said that Abdul Haleem was died in this incidence and one Muhammad Anees was injured. He said that last year heavy debris, stones and a big portion of this mountain slipped on the road and the road remained blocked for a long times. But luckily that incidence occurred at night time and there was no traffic on the road.

Meanwhile, when contacted the Chitral Police SHO confirmed having received an application seeking FIR against four persons, adding that the police had started investigation under section 156.

It is to noted that the Chitral Police SHO registered ‘a fake’ FIR against a senior journalist at around 21:30 hours (night time) without any investigation but in the present case where a precious life lost, the police are appeared reluctant to lodge a case.