LAHORE: The Lahore High Court on Thursday directed CCPO Muahmmad Amin Wains to appear in person to submit his reply in a petition seeking action against CIA police for detaining Qurban Rasool and adjourned the hearing until May 06.

Justice Miss Aalia Neelum of the LHC heard the case. The judge also directed the CCPO to produce the detainee on next hearing.

Khursheed Bibi, a resident of Samnabad, had filed the habeas corpus petition through her counsels Muhamamd Hayat Kalasan advocate and Zulfiqar Bukhari advocate submitting that the CIA police had detained her son Qurban Rasool for no reason. The counsels challenged the detention as illegal. “51 days have passed but Qurban is still in the custody of CIA police in Cantt,” they maintained. They further alleged the CIA police violated the fundamental and basic rights of the citizens. All the family members of the detainee including his mother went pillar to post to get him recovered but in vain, they told the judge. After hearing arguments of both the counsels, Justice Aalia Neelum of the LHC summoned the CCPO Lahore and directed him to produce the detainee on the next hearing. The court will resume hearing on May 6.

Kanju sent on further remand

A special anti-terrorism court on Thursday sent Mustafa Kanju, son of former Minister of Foreign Affairs Siddique Kanju, and his four guards, to jail on further 7-day judicial remand

Kanju accused of killing a 17-year-old orphan boy and injuring another. Kanju and his guards including Ikram Ullah, Asif, Saad and Sadiq were produced before the court of ATC judge. An investigation officer pleaded the judge to give him more time to submit interim challan. Barrister Nawazish, the counsel of all five accused, was also present there in the court. The judge accepted the plea and sent the accused to jail on 7-day judicial remand.

Previously, police informed the court that they had recovered a Kalashnikov from accused party's possession. However, Kanju's counsel submitted the court Kanju's guard and the guard of his rival party opened fire on each other as a result of which Zain was killed. He said that Kanju was innocent and implicated in forged case merely for humiliating and blackmailing although he had nothing to do with the killing of Zain. Kanju was arrested after a case was registered against him under 7-ATA and Section 302 of the Pakistan Penal Code. He was accused of killing Zain, a 16-year-old orphan, and injuring Hussain, 18.–Staff Reporter