LAHORE - Two jailed students of the Government College University (GCU) have been released as charges under Anti-Terrorism Act have been dropped against them and other students involved in holding protest, this was stated before the Lahore High Court by Punjab government during the hearing of suo moto proceedings. The same ATC judge who had already sent Haroon Mahmood and Usman Latif to jail on October 29 released them on bail on next day late at night after higher authorities took strong notice of the matter. The students were released from jail on Thursday midnight, the source said. The government also undertook that no raids would be conducted for the arrest of the students till the final verdict of the court. The court, however, summoned the complainant of the case Registrar GCU, Faisal Khursheed along with relevant record on Nov 5. LHC's Chief Justice Sayed Zahid Hussain on Friday took suo moto notice of the students' plight after it was reported in the Press that two students had been sent to jail by an Anti-Terrorism Court. The CJ referred the matter to Justice Mian Najamuz Zaman who summoned the SHO New Anarkali along with entire record of the case. Additional Advocate General Akbar Tarar after going through the record brought by SHO and seeking instructions from authorities concerned, informed the court that FIR had been registered on the complain of GCU Registrar and during the investigation two students Haroon Mahmood and Usman Latif were arrested. He also apprised the court that Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif had personally took up the matter with officials concerned and after that the authority had also decided to delete Section 7-ATA and 506-PPC from the FIR. He pointed out that Section 16-MPO might also be deleted as the investigation was underway. On his request the court granted short adjournment. The parents of the students were also present in the LHC during the hearing. Hassan Mahmood, a cycle-rickshaw driver and father of arrested Haroon Mahmood, said his son was not a terrorist. He had sent him to college to get education. Abdul Latif, the father of Usman Latif could not control his feelings and burst into tears. He said, while tears rolling down his cheeks, that his son was arrested because he belonged to a poor family. "Had he been member of a rich family, no one could have dared even to touch him," said the helpless father. The entire drama started after the university administration rusticated more than 600 students on the minor violation of discipline. Next day, the students held a protest demonstration on The Lower Mall against university administration's harsh punishment. Some of them said they had been expelled from the institution on the ground that they had missed only two periods during the entire month.   The administration took protest to heart and decided to teach them exemplary lesson. It not only got registered a case against them but also passed strict instructions to the police to launch crackdown for their arrest. The police made continuous raids on their residences and arrested two of them until the high ups stopped it from doing so.