SRINAGAR (AFP) Residents in Indian-held Kashmir defied a curfew on Tuesday to hold angry demonstrations after an 11-year-old boy was killed and a relative of a top Kashmiri leader seriously injured in police fire. About 65 protesters and bystanders have been killed over the past 11 weeks, mostly by security forces who have opened fire on rallies after being pelted with stones. On Monday, the 11-year-old boy was shot dead by police in the southern town of Anantnag during a violent demonstration against New Delhis rule in the Muslim-majority region. He was earlier reported as being nine. Each death in recent months has triggered further protests in defiance of strict all-day curfews. In Srinagar, Yasir Sheikh, a cousin of senior Kashmiri leader Yasin Malik, was seriously injured on Monday by police gunfire. Witnesses said police opened fire without provocation when young men were playing a board game outside the residence of Malik, who heads the pro-independence Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front. Police initially said they had opened fire to quell stone-throwing demonstrators but later described the incident as unfortunate. A police constable who fired the shots has been suspended and taken into custody, an officer said, asking not to be named. An inquiry has been initiated to know the facts which led to this incident, a police statement said. Sheikh has been put on a ventilator and his condition was serious, doctor Basharat Ahmed told AFP. Police imposed a curfew in Srinagar Tuesday morning but residents defied restrictions and held noisy demonstrations. Young men, many of them wearing masks to prevent identification, chanted pro-independence slogans and burned tyres to block main roads. Indians, leave Kashmir, chanted the residents at Miasuma, the scene of Mondays shooting in Srinagar as women squatted on the main road, some of them beating their chests in a traditional display of bereavement. Meanwhile, All Parties Hurriyet Conference leader Syed Ali Geelani Tuesday said that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh must commit publicly and ensure practically that henceforth no killings and no arrests shall take place. It was one of the five demands Geelani put forth during a news conference in Srinagar, warning that if the demands were not met the the programme of ongoing mass protests would be intensified.