MANCHESTER (AFP) - English champions Manchester United suffered a shock 2-1 defeat to Championship side Crystal Palace thanks to an extra-time goal from substitute Glenn Murray in their League Cup quarter-final here on Wednesday. Palace had not won, or even scored a goal, in five matches but took a surprise lead at Old Trafford with Darren Ambroses fine long-range strike. Federico Macheda pulled one back from the penalty spot with his first goal at Old Trafford in 18 months. But after the game went to extra time, Murray headed in to send the south London side into the semi-finals. After the 6-1 defeat to City in October, it was just Uniteds second defeat at Old Trafford since their 2-1 loss to Chelsea in April 2010. Crystal Palace manager Dougie Freedman said that it was a moment to treasure for a club that has had a hard few years. "It's a wonderful night for the club, especially given the position we've been in the last few years," said Freedman, who as a player scored 95 goals in 330 appearances for the club. "To play at Old Trafford tonight, we're privileged, the lads learnt a lot from tonight. "I think we deserved it. We played some good stuff, some good football," added the former Scotland international. Even though Sir Alex Ferguson made a host of changes to his team, United were still expected to take a place alongside Manchester City, Liverpool and another Championship side Cardiff in the last four. But despite their recent problems, Palace started the game showing far more threat than the Premier League champions. Wilfried Zaha looked a constant threat and the Palace winger fired just past the near post after a quick breakaway after just one minute. The hosts finally went close when a sweeping move involving Antonio Valencia and Park Ji-Sung ended with Darron Gibson having a drive deflected wide. Dimitar Berbatov met the Gibson corner that followed but headed straight at goalkeeper Lewis Price. Fabio had already been replaced by Ezekiel Fryers in the opening period and Berbatov, who seemed to have sustained an ankle injury in the first half, came off for Ravel Morrison at the interval. Just after the restart, Republic of Ireland midfielder Gibson, who was making his first appearance of the season after a shoulder injury, drove wide from just inside the area.