LAHORE - United Bank Limited secured qualification into the semi-finals when they beat Pakistan International Airlines by nine wickets at Lahore City Cricket Association Ground. Batting first, PIA’s openers started well, putting on 38 runs for the first wicket. Once Shoaib Khan was dismissed, wickets continued to tumble regularly. Aside from Sarfraz Ahmed (31), Fahad Iqbal (32) and Faisal Iqbal (33), the rest of the batting line-up failed to muster meaningful scores. PIA eventually reached 133 for 5 at the end of their 20 overs. UBL’s openers made a decent start to the chase, posting 33 for the first wicket. Once Ahsan Ali fell for 10, Abid Ali was joined by Wajihuddin, and together they chased down the remaining 103 runs to seal victory by nine wickets, and with four balls to spare. Abid finished unbeaten on 62 while Wajihuddin registered 50 not out.

In a battle between the two lowest placed teams of group A, National Bank of Pakistan were able to trump State Bank of Pakistan by seven wickets at Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore to secure their first victory of the tournament. NBP won the toss and put SBP in, with Hammad Azam striking early to remove captain Kashif Siddiq. Out of the six bowlers used, five of them, including Ataullah, who had opened the bowling for the team, were each able to take two wickets apiece and restrict SBP to a paltry 76. Only Gulraiz Sadaf and Mohammad Saad went into double figures. NBP started the chase with the openers putting on 17. Innings from Akbar-ur-Rehman (23) and Azam (27*) ensured they got to the total without too much drama, as they saw out the chase to win by seven wickets, and with just over five overs to spare.

A high-scoring contest between Port Qasim Authority and Water and Power Development Authority ended with the former sneaking a nine-run win in the last over. Shahzaib Hasan scored his second T20 hundred to boost PQA’s total to 191, with Khalid Latif contributing 45 off 32 balls. WAPDA needed a swift reply to take down the mammoth target, and a second-wicket stand off 55 between Muhammad Ayub and Saad Nasim provided a decent foundation for them to build on. The pair were dismissed for 38 and 27 respectively, but Aamir Sajjad and Adnan Raees kept the runs flowing at a fast rate, as they joined hands to launch a quickfire 90 for the fourth wicket. However, needing 23 runs off the final over, they just fell short. Both teams failed to advance into the semi-final.

Nawaz Ahmed’s second T20 fifty helped Pakistan Television chase down 144 and secure a close three-wicket win over Khan Research Laboratories, with one ball remaining. Nawaz’s 50, which included seven fours, helped the team recover from a slow start which saw the opener Imran Ali dismissed for 5. Nawaz added 84 for the second wicket with Mohammad Sami, which set the platform for their successful chase. Khan RL picked up wickets at regular intervals to take the match to the final over, but Naeem Anjum struck 10 in three deliveries to take Pakistan TV home. Khan RL, electing to bat, were earlier propelled by an opening stand of 87 from Usman Salahuddin and Zain Abbas, who top-scored with 58. Zohaib Ahmed was the pick of the bowlers, finishing with 3 for 26.

An incisive bowling performance from Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Limited, followed by an unbeaten 65 from Ali Waqas helped them to a nine-wicket win over Habib Bank Limited in Lahore. Waqas hit seven fours and three sixes during his 52-ball knock, and added 116 for the second wicket with the opener Taufeeq Umar, as SNGPL overhauled the 114-run target inside 18 overs. Habib Bank, who were earlier put into bat, lost wickets at regular intervals during their innings, with the biggest contribution being an unbeaten 26 from Umar Gul deep down at No.9. Legspinner Yasir Shah finished with 3 for 18 to restrict them to 113 for 9 from their 20 overs. Despite the loss, Habib Bank are still through to the semi-finals.