MIRPUR (AJK) -  The district authorities foiled a bid made by “Indian firing victims” to occupy the state land near Khaliqabad on Mirpur Jatlan Road.

The administration uprooted their huts on the land belonging to the State Forests Department, officials said.

Assistant Commissioner Raja Qaiser Aurangzeb told The Nation that at least 250 people had erected the huts on the land. He alleged that they belong to the professional land grabbers and land mafia. However, the people were of the view that they belonged to the Indian firing-hit areas of Line of control in Bhimbher and Kotli districts,

However, the hundreds of the people with 15 to 20 families fled away from the scene leaving their tents-resort abandoned as the authorities launched the operation clean up early Wednesday morning.

He said that on the special directives of Deputy Commissioner Mirpur Ansar Yaqoob, the land was got vacated successfully from the land grabbers after the grand operation was launched in the wee hours of Wednesday which continued whole of the day.

The assistant commissioner said that the genuine Indian-firing hit families from Barnala in Bhimbher as well as from the forward areas of LoC in Kotli districts were respectively dispatched to their respective districts with advice to contact with the administrations of their respective districts of residence for the alternative shelter.

“It is the responsibility of the districts administration concerned to manage the due shelter and alternative place for their stay for the time being due to their displacement from the Indian firing-hit areas on the LoC, he added.

On a tip-off, a special team rushed to the site of Sehens Mirpur Jatlan road and uprooted the huts erected by the occupants. It may be added that the AJK Forest Department had already warned the grabbers to vacate the state-owned land a couple of days ago.

During the operation, the occupants tried to block Khaliqabad road in retaliation to frustrate the action by the police and the administration. However, the operation by the administration led to the total vacation of the illegally occupied state-owned land as the authorities totally vanished all the ordinary shelters.

At the same time, at 15/20 Indian-firing hit families belonging to forward Chamb sector area at LoC in Bhimbher district were sent back to their respective permanent districts of residence, the AC Raja Qaiser Aurangzeb said while responding to a question.

“No arrest has been made from amongst the illegal occupants during the operation clean-up which completed without any harm by the administration as hundreds of the illegal occupants fled from the scene during the operation,” he added while responding to a query.

Social and political quarters in Mirpur have highly praised the action by the District Administration frustrating the nefarious attempt of occupying the state land under the bogey of the IDPs reportedly belonging to the unprovoked Indian firing hit areas at this side of the Line of Control in Bhimbher and Kotli districts.