LAHORE - City police on Thursday registered a case against four gunmen who shot dead a police officer and a murder suspect in the premises of Sessions Court, a day earlier.

A police investigator told The Nation that different teams were working on the case to arrest the attackers. “Raids are underway and the killers will be brought to justice very soon,” the officer claimed. However, no arrest was made yet. The double-murder case was registered with the Islampura police on the complaint of a police officer on Thursday. The FIR was lodged under section (302/34, 324/353, 186 of the PPC and section 7 of the antiterrorism act). Two of the four gunmen were nominated in the FIR. They were named by police as Touqeer Ahmad and Jabbar Ali alias Bara.

On the other hand, the funeral prayers for Head Constable Asif Iqbal were offered at the Police Lines Qila Gujjar Singh on Thursday afternoon. A large number of policemen including Punjab Police Inspector General Arif Nawaz Khan, CCPO Muhammad Amin Wains, DIG Haider Ashraf and DIG Sultan Chaudhry attended the funeral prayers. Colleagues and relatives of the martyred policeman were seen in tears as the body was shifted to a local graveyard after the funeral.

Later, a smart police squad presented salute to the martyred Head Constable Asif Iqbal while the police chief laid floral wreath on the coffin. A police spokesman said Asif Iqbal had joined the Punjab Police in 1999 as Constable. He left behind a widow and three children to mourn.

Punjab Police Inspector General Arif Nawaz Khan while talking to reporters paid rich tributes to the martyred officer and said that the killers would be brought to justice “as early as possible.” The police said that more than 1400 officers and officials of the Punjab Police died in the line of duty.

Head Constable Asif Iqbal, 38, and a murder suspect Amjad Lateef Gujjar, 40, were killed while a bystander wounded in the brazen gun attack that triggered panic in the lower courts during rush hours.

As police along with suspects came out of the court-room after a hearing, the gunmen who were waiting for their opponents in the corridor opened straight fire on them with pistols. The attackers also fired on the police when the officials tried to retaliate. The victims were shot multiple times. The attackers fled instantly after the shooting

The police produced the murder suspects before a court in connection with a case registered against them three years ago. Also, police were investigating how the gunmen sneaked into the courts despite heavy deployment and security checks at the main entrance.

Man crushed under truck

A 52-year-old man was crushed to death under a truck in the limits of Quaid-e-Azam Industrial Estate police station on Thursday.

The deceased was identified by police as Muhammad Meer, a resident of district Jhang. The victim was trying to cross a road when a truck ran over him. As a result, he died on the spot. The fatal accident took place in front of the Gate No 5 of the industrial zone, a rescue worker said. The police were investigating the incident.