After decades and many deaths people still need to know the truth about keeping heaters burning in their rooms while they sleep. Wherever a heater burns, reduction of oxygen in the air results as it consumes it. People generally presume that people die of gas leakage or carbon monoxide, but death occurs because of lack of oxygen in the room.

The general public is unaware about the danger, the misconception that human beings can survive even if a little oxygen remains in the air. Even educated people do not know that when oxygen drops to 12 percent, we cannot breathe. Gas heaters and coal ‘angithies’ should not be used for warming rooms. Preferably winter cloths such as sweaters, coats, caps should be used to protect from cold. This information must be repeatedly conveyed to the public by the government, NGOs, television, newspapers to save more lives.

QAZI NAYYAR ALI SIDDIQI,

Lahore, December 29.