KARACHI - National Accountability Bureau (NAB), Karachi office has arrested Ghulam Mustafa Jahejo, Haq Nawaz Leghari, Feroz Hussain Memon and Shoaib Ahmed for their alleged involvement in misappropriation and embezzlement of funds in Taluka Municipality Authority, Matli.

NAB officials here on Friday sharing details of the arrest said two of the accused serving as Taluka Officers (TMOs) at TMA Matli and two others as contractors were allegedly found involved in embezzlement of funds allocated for development schemes in Matli.

These projects were said to be initiated during the tenure of Ahmed Khan Abro, Munawar Zareef and Tariq Hameed.

When scrutinized, it was found that accused had forwarded bogus records, misappropriating government funds worth more than Rs10 million, without executing any work on ground. According to available details, Ghulam Mustafa Jahejo, ex-Taluka Officer (Finance) misappropriated TMA funds to the tune of Rs5.3 million by authorising bogus payments.

Haq Nawaz Leghari, ex-Taluka Officer embezzled Rs6.69 million, also by giving bogus payments as refund for security deposit to contractors. The accused Feroze Hussain Memon who was a contractor of Al Mehran Engineering Service was the recipient of fraudulent payment of Rs2.61 million for work which was never carried out. The accused Shoaib Ahmed, also a contractor was illegally paid Rs4.201 million from the government exchequer.

All the four accused are in NAB’s custody, one of the accused, Mrs Naveed Shahid, proprietor of M/s Arain Memon Construction Company, has entered into plea bargain with NAB, said the concerned officials. Meanwhile, a mobile phone shop in Saddar area was robbed of the cellular sets worth of Rs650,000 and Rs150,000 cash here on Friday.

According to Cantt police, the robbers broke into the shop which was closed due to Friday as district’s markets observe holiday. The robbers took away over 40 mobile sets besides the cash kept in the shop’s drawer, the police added.

The shop’s owner Imran Ahmed told that the residents of the locality were the first to notice the opened shutter of the shop and they reported to the police. He claimed that all the most expensive mobile phones were stolen. No FIR was lodged so far.

Moreover, operation against power theft and defaulters of Hyderabad Electric Supply Company (Hesco) remained continued in the region as the special recovery teams disconnected hundreds of illegal (Kunda) and default connections on Friday. According to Hesco spokesman, the special recovery teams Friday carried out operation in Hyderabad, Sanghar, Mirpurkhas, Badin and Nawabshah districts and detected 790 illegal connections.

The teams also disconnected 900 connections of the consumers and 14 power transformers following nonpayment of outstanding dues, the spokesman informed and added that an amount of Rs1.2 million has also been recovered from the defaulters.