SRINAGAR (AFP) - The Occupied Kashmir government formally revoked Tuesday a decision to hand over land to Hindu yatrees after days of violent protests that left five dead and nearly 350 injured in the region. A 70-year old Muslim died in police action in the central Kashmir district of Budgam hours before the order was rescinded Tuesday, police said. Jubilant Muslim crowds burst crackers in Srinagar to welcome the news, but the government's decision to revoke the plan angered Hindus concentrated in the southern part of the region. There were angry clashes on Tuesday between police and Hindu demonstrators in Jammu prompting authorities to impose a curfew in some areas, police said, adding protesters also set fire to a police booth. The decision was taken by the state cabinet which met in Srinagar. The government order "is hereby cancelled", an official statement said. The statement said the state government had taken charge of logistics for a major annual Hindu yatra to a mountain grotto, scrapping a move to allocate land to a trust. That decision provoked the riots in and around Srinagar. Revocation of the order came as top leaders of the All Parties Hurriyat Conference were placed under house arrest by police in a bid to avert more protests and a strike shut shops, schools, banks and post offices for a ninth day here. The entire political leadership of Kashmiris was under house arrest, except for Syed Ali Geelani who managed to evade police, officer Pervez Ahmed said. Geelani later emerged at the region's main mosque in Srinagar and led tens of thousands of Muslims in an anti-India demonstration. Residents said police and paramilitary officers were enforcing an "undeclared" curfew in most parts of Srinagar. Meanwhile, three freedom fighters and an Indian army officer were killed Tuesday in a gunbattle near the Line of Control, an Indian army spokesman said. He said the fighting took place in the mountainous northern district of Kupwara bordering Pakistan Occupied Kashmir. "The gunbattle erupted closer to the Line of Control (LOC) when troops sighted a group of heavily-armed fighters and asked them to surrender," the spokesman said, adding that the freedom fighters chose to fight.