ISLAMABAD  - An application has been filed in the Supreme Court on Monday to start contempt proceedings against President of Pakistan, ex-PM, former federal minister and secretary for law and justice for secretly writing second letter to the Swiss authorities to close graft cases against President Asif Ali Zardari. Syed Mehmood Akhtar Naqvi has filed the petition making President Asif Ali Zardari, former Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, former Federal Law Minister Farooq H Niak and Law Secretary Justice (Retd) Yasmin Abbasey as respondents.

The petitioner stated that Abbasey wrote the secrete letter to a law firm Fontanet Associes Geneva during premiership of Raja Pervez Ashraf. He further submitted that existence of the letter became public last week when Attorney General Munir A Malik informed the Supreme Court that although the PPP government had written a letter to the Swiss authorities in compliance with the court’s order on the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) case, it also sent a second secret communication to a law firm requesting an official confirmation of the Swiss authorities’ inability to revive $60 million graft cases against the President.

Naqvi submitted that the communication made to the law firm was tantamount to committing contempt of court. He contended that the purpose of the second letter was to obstruct justice. He urged the court to put their names on ECL. Naqvi further stated that Abbasey wrote the secret letter to Dr Nicholas Jaanding on November 22 last year.

He stated that Dr Jaanding had been requested to explain the position of the Pakistan government to the Attorney General of Geneva that the order of closing the cases by the former Attorney General on August 25, 2008, had attained finality and could not be reopened under Swiss law.

Nisar orders removal of political banners: Federal Minister for Interior and Narcotics Control, Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan, has directed Capital Development Authority (CDA) and Rawalpindi administration to immediately remove all political banners, hoardings and posters in the twin cities. He has further directed that job should be completed within the next 48 hours, says an official handout issued by the ministry.

The minister said such places being used for these purposes should be used commercially to generate revenue for the districts rather than using these venues for political hoardings to attract the attention of important government functionaries. He said in future every effort should be made for not allowing putting up of such banners except during the time of elections.