Normality has not yet returned to Daska as the local courts and the Tehsil Municipal Administration offices have not started functioning properly despite the passage of a week of the two lawyers’ killing by the police.

Rana Khalid Abbas and Muhammad Irfan Chohan were allegedly gunned down by SHO Shehzad Warraich during a clash in front of the main gate of the Daska police station on May 25th, 2015. The tragedy had triggered violence and a mob had set ablaze the offices of DSP and TMA besides burning complete official records there.

However, the junior staff has established a temporary office of the DSP in judicial lock-up adjacent to City police station. Punjab Inspector General of Police (IGP) Mushtaq Sukhera had appointed Qayyum Gondal as DSP a few days ago. He has not yet assumed the charge of his office.

All the officials concerned had been absent from their duties after Daska turmoil. The protesting lawyers were still observing the strike and boycotting the courts due to which thousands of cases were lying pending in the courts. The litigants have been suffering great ordeal due to inordinate delay in the court proceeding.

The Daska Bar Association has announced that the strike of lawyers would continue till the submission of a challan in the lawyers’ murder case before the Anti Terrorism Court. The courts were presenting a deserted look nowadays due to strike and boycott of the courts by the local lawyers.

Local people said that a week had passed but the TMA had not made alternative arrangements to start the routine working. The TMA officials had no alternative place to sit and work there, the TMA officials said and added that all the record of development schemes had been burnt by the mob.  Now, they said, the contractors who had completed their development work were suffering great ordeal in reproducing the record of their bills.

Meanwhile, the lawyers set up a protest camp at the site where the two Daska-based lawyers were brutally shot dead by the accused police inspector.

Punjab Bar Council member Jalil Qaisar Nagra, acting president of Daska Bar Association Nabi Ahmed Bajwa and Secretary General Awais Aslam Sandhu jointly led the camp.

The lawyers were wearing black arm bandages and carrying banners and placards chanting anti-police slogans. They showed unity and condemned the brutal killings of their senior colleagues. They vowed to take the case of murder to its logical end without doing any compromise with anyone in this regard.

The lawyers also offered Fateha for the eternal peace of the slain senior lawyers. The lawyers demanded day by day trial of the case and early submission of challan to the Anti Terrorism Court. They also demanded early establishment of a monument at the murder site.

They announced to set up another protest camps at Daska in front of Daska City police station and at the new Judicial Complex on daily basis till the submission of a challan in the case. Later, they also marched on various roads to express complete solidarity with the grieved families.

On the other hand, a joint investigation team continued inquiry into the tragedy. The JIT led by Irfan Tariq Khan (SP Investigation Sialkot) visited the gutted offices of DSP and TMA, and the residence of Assistant Commissioner which had been set ablaze by the mob.

The JIT recorded the statements of Farooq Ahmed, incharge of Record Branch of TMA, some policemen and lawyers. The JIT officials said that they were observing CCTV footages, adding that the arsonists would be traced out and arrested soon.