MOGADISHU (AFP) - Hardlines in Somalia rejected on Sunday a ceasefire offer, which had been accepted by new President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, and vowed to keep up their attacks on government forces. The president, elected on January 31, reached out to hardliners on Saturday by accepting mediators' requests for a ceasefire and offering to introduce sharia law across the war-torn country. But Hizb al-Islamiya rejected the proposals. "The information regarding a ceasefire plan between our group and the government is baseless. We will attack the enemy and their stooges anytime we want," spokesman Muse Abdi Arale said. Ahmed said on Saturday that he had accepted proposals by local and religious leaders mediating between his fledgling government and the hardliners. "I met with religious leaders and elders and accepted their demand for a ceasefire and reconciliation with the opposition members, and I call on all opposition parties to halt the unnecessary violence," Ahmed told reporters. However, Arale, the rebel spokesman, said his group had met with the mediators but only discussed plans for a partial withdraw of its fighters. Foreign and local religious leaders have launched a peace bid to reconcile rival Somali groups and bring an end to their leaders' bickering and rivalry that has blocked numerous attempts to end the conflict.