ISLAMABAD - After a brief stalemate in their talks, the government and Waziristan-based Taliban are once again inching closer to finalise the deal aimed at bringing peace and stability to the restive tribal belt. The two sides had almost reached the peace agreement a couple of days ago before the top Taliban commander, Baitullah Mehsud stopped the talks over the government's refusal to pull out military from the troubled tribal areas. Taliban also warned of strong retaliation in case of any assaults by the security forces. The Spokesman of Taliban, Maulvi Omar, however, said that the cease-fire would remain intact despite the halt in talks aimed to restore durable peace in the region. According to officials here, the Taliban stopped talking because they wanted the release of some of their key commanders currently detained by security forces before any peace agreement. Nonetheless, they said that the two sides were once again on talking terms as a result of intense efforts by eminent tribal elders in Waziristan. An official, who didn't want to be named, confirmed that not only talks had been resumed but the two sides had also made some progress. He described that in case the talks continued without any impasse, the finalisation of deal, which is already in black and white and only needs some modification, would be easily achieved. To a question on troops' withdrawal from Waziristan and other tribal regions as was demanded by Taliban, the official said that military pullout from the restive areas would depend on durable peace there. When asked about Taliban demand for release of their important commanders, he said that release of Mullah Obaidullah, Deputy of Taliban Supreme Commander, Mullah Omar, was not possible but some others could be set free. It may be noted that Taliban have also held Pakistan's Ambassador to Kabul, Tariq Azizuddin, and they have demanded the release of five or six people, all in government custody, involved in terrorist activities in Pakistan. Nonetheless, Taliban, led by Mehsud, have distanced from Azizuddin's abduction, saying it might be done by some other militant' groups. Another official when contacted admitted that talks with Taliban had resumed but he hastened to add that nothing could be said about the success of the negotiations as for now. "The government wants to reach the deal but Taliban would also have to show flexibility," he added.