ISLAMABAD The federal government could extend Nizam-e-Adl Regulation, 2009 to other districts as a result of any political deal struck between the NWFP Government and TNSM Amir Maulana Sufi Muhammad. This was stated by a senior civil bureaucrat Rashid Bashir Mazari from the Interior Ministry while addressing a media briefing held at the ISPR, Rawalpindi office on Friday as a part of daily exercise to update the national and foreign media about the ongoing military operation in Dir and Buner Districts. The Principal Information Officer Shabir Anwar, representing the Federal Information Ministry also attended the briefing largely addressed by the Pakistan Army chief spokesman Major General Ather Abbas. Mazari was responding to queries about the scope and administrative jurisdiction of Nizam-e-Adl Regulation that was also supported through a resolution by an overwhelming majority in the National Assembly ahead of its enforcement. The Interior Ministry spokesman was of the view that Nizam-e-Adl Regulation was adopted as a result of a political deal between the ANP-led NWFP Government and Maulana Sufi Muhammad. Earlier in his opening statement, DG ISPR General Ather maintained that the ongoing assault against the armed militants in Dir and Buner was launched on the demand of the people of these districts and on the request of the government. The Army spokesman said that the military pounded Taliban positions on the fourth consecutive day of its air and ground assault in Buner District, and had killed 55-60 militants including some foreigners over the last 24 hours, raising the death toll of militants to more than 170 in the region since Sunday. Eight to 10 militants were killed in the Shabdara attack, he said, adding that Buners militant casualties also included foreigners. Ather said Daggar had been cleared of militants and a military check post was also set up in the area while security forces were engaged in efforts to clear the Daggar-Ambela road. However, militants still had not vacated north of Ambela as security forces were facing stiff resistance in the area, he said, adding that a suicide attacker was also arrested from the area. He said on Thursday, security forces killed 14 militants in Buner and gained control of the Ambela heights after overcoming tough resistance and secured about half of the 8 km long Ambela pass after clearing three militant positions. General Ather said that the operation was making good progress and militants hideouts were being targeted with all the available resources. As for the situation in Dir District, he said it was normalizing in Lower Dir where curfew was also relaxed on Friday. He said locals were also fighting against militants in the district where two security personnel were killed and two others were wounded during the operation, while two suicide vehicles and motorcycles were also destroyed during the Lower Dir operation. ISPR spokesman said that on Thursday, Pakistani artillery targeted hideouts in Maidan and Chakdara villages in Lower Dir, troops had started patrolling areas in Lower Dir District and destroyed four vehicles used by the militants near Kambar Bazaar and Lal Qila. About the situation in Swat he said the militants had also set up check posts in parts of Swat in violation of the peace pact, prompting speculations that the offensive could be extended to the valley. AFP adds: People living in Buner said that the fighting was heavy. I cant sleep in my bedroom because my house keeps rattling all night due to heavy shelling, said 60-year-old Habibullah Khan, who runs a pharmacy in Nawagai, where he said all but four villagers had fled. Hazrat Khan, 26, a teacher in Sultanwas, said he, his wife and four children had been holed up at home for four days, with food running low. I can see through chinks in the door that Taliban are everywhere out there. I cant move because of the curfew and shelling. I appeal to the authorities to evacuate us, he said. Early Friday, more than 50 armed Taliban stormed a local paramilitary headquarters in Upper Dir - a district so far shielded from the military offensive - and snatched 10 security forces personnel, officials said. The 10 were released unharmed later in the day. Atif Rehman, head of the district administration in Upper Dir, confirmed that more than 50 armed militants attacked the local paramilitary headquarters and abducted 10 personnel for 13 hours until they were freed. In nearby Buner district, militants earlier this week captured police stations in three villages and have been holding hostage 52 police officers and paramilitary soldiers, the military has said. Taliban fighters have kidnapped scores of security personnel in their increasingly brazen insurgency inside Pakistan, where US counter-terrorism experts say nearly 2,300 people were killed in militant attacks last year. Ibrahim Khankhel from Mingora adds: At least two militants were killed on Friday in the first-ever direct encounter with the security forces in the outskirts of Khwazakhela after February 2009 peace accord. According to official sources, the encounter took place when Taliban militants boarding a vehicle fired indiscriminately at Langar Check-Post of the security forces in the outskirts of Khwazakhela. The officials also claimed that two militants were killed when the security forces hit them back to repulse the attack. However, Taliban Spokesman Haji Muslim Khan has contradicted the claim and said, Security forces first opened firing against Taliban vehicles and only two Taliban were injured in the incident. He also threatened that there would be dire consequences, if the security forces violated the peace agreement. APP adds: Nazim Union Council Darsanam was kidnapped at gunpoint by unknown miscreants here on Friday, district police said. UC Nazim Haji Jalilur Rehman was lifted by unknown accused near his residence and shifted to an undisclosed location, police said. The local people immediately formed 'Chagha Party while the local police cordoned off the entire areas and started efforts for the recovery of the abductee.