KABUL (AFP) - Foreign troops fighting in Afghanistan endured their deadliest month since the 2001 invasion in August when 77 soldiers died, an independent website tracking military casualties said Tuesday. Icasualties.org said the 77 deaths came after the 76 who perished in July, which was previously the bloodiest month for foreign troops in Afghanistan. The year 2009 has already been a record-breaking year for the number of foreign soldiers killed in Afghanistan since the US-led bid to oust the Taliban began following the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States. The website says 309 foreign troops have died in Afghanistan so far this year, compared with a death toll of 294 among foreign forces in 2008. August has also gone on record as the deadliest for US troops. On Tuesday, the military announced the death of the latest US soldier, who died from wounds sustained during a bomb attack in southern Afghanistan. The soldier from the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force was wounded when a makeshift bomb exploded on Monday in the south, where two other US soldiers and two British soldiers were also killed on the same day. The rising military casualties have been attributed to a Taliban-led insurgency now at its deadliest and a surge in the number of troops to more than 100,000 in NATO and a separate US-led coalition. Their commander, General Stanley McChrystal, sent a long-awaited review of the war to his superiors on Monday, calling for a revised strategy in order to defeat the Taliban and describing the situation as serious. Meanwhile, violent deaths in Iraq hit a 13-month high in August, official figures showed on Tuesday, raising fresh concerns about the country's stability after a government admission that security is worsening. Statistics compiled by the defence, interior and health ministries showed that 456 people -- 393 civilians, 48 police and 15 Iraqi soldiers -- were killed, the highest toll since July last year when 465 died in unrest. There were also 1,592 civilians, 129 police and 20 soldiers wounded in August, according to Tuesday's figures. The toll in August jumped markedly from the 275 Iraqis who lost their lives in July, in the immediate wake of a major pullout of US combat troops from urban centres the previous month. The weeks leading up to the June 30 withdrawal of American forces from Iraq's cities, towns and villages also saw a spike in violence, with 437 people dying that month. The high number in August was partly attributable to two massive truck bombings at the ministries of finance and foreign affairs in Baghdad that killed at least 95 people and wounded hundreds. The August 19 attacks, dubbed "Bloody Wednesday" in Iraq, prompted the government to admit major security breaches had occurred, which led directly to civilian deaths. Eleven top security officials were arrested. Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, whose office lost 32 workers in the bloodshed, warned in the wake of the bombings that Iraq could witness more deadly attacks in coming months because security is deteriorating due to collusion between the security forces and insurgents. Zebari also made the first official admission that the blasts, on what was the worst day of violence in Iraq in 18 months, signalled that security gains made in the past year are appearing to unravel. "This has been going on for the last two months. Every week, every two weeks we see a wave of these bombings and killings of innocent people," he said. "Enough of these over-optimistic remarks about security. There has been a deterioration in the security situation, this is a fact and the coming (violence) will be bigger," he added. Last month saw several other days of high-profile attacks across Iraq, including a spate of bombings on August 10 that killed 51 people and wounded at least 250. Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki described the August 19 attacks as "a desperate attempt to derail the political process and affect the parliamentary elections," planned for January 2010. But Zebari went further and called for a re-appraisal of the country's entire security apparatus as it was not, he said, obtaining sufficient intelligence to counter the insurgent threat. "They have been moving their attacks... now they have focused on their main concern, their main attention -- Baghdad. This is a dangerous and a serious development and a security setback," he said. The US military said the August 19 bombings showed insurgents were aiming to destabilise the government. "Why? Perhaps to fracture national unity... perhaps to (make) the population lose trust and confidence in the government... so that the blame game starts, which could lead to a breakdown in the security forces, which possibly leads to militias being formed," Brigadier General Steve Lanza said on August 26. But he also said the attacks had not sparked a flare-up of sectarian tension. "We knew this was coming but it has not accomplished its purpose... to foment sectarian violence, and we have not seen the national government collapse," he said. Seven US soldiers died in Iraq in August, the lowest number since the 2003 US-led invasion to oust Saddam Hussein, according to the independent website icasualties.org According to latest figures, 4,336 American soldiers have died in Iraq since the invasion.