A case has been registered in the Islamabad High Court (IHC) against former president Pervez Musharraf for the murder of Abdul Rashid and his mother during the Lal Masjid operation.

Earlier, the IHC on Monday stopped Station House Officer (SHO) Aabpara Police Station, Qasim Niazi from leaving the courtroom, saying that he would not be allowed to leave until a case was registered against Musharraf.

After registration of the case he was allowed to leave the court room.

IHC Justice Noorul Haq Qureshi said that not registering a case despite the court’s orders falls under contempt of court.

On Friday the IHC summoned the SHO over non-compliance with the court’s orders to look into whether a case can be registered. The IHC Justice directed the SHO to appear before the court on September 2 in response to a contempt application filed by Haroonur Rashid Ghazi. the son of slain Lal Masjid cleric Abdul Rasheed Ghazi, against the police for non-compliance with court orders and sought criminal proceedings against the police official.

On July 12, 2013, the same bench had ordered the police to book the former president, and if the Lal Masjid operation was a cognisable offence, a case be registered against Musharraf for the death of Ghazi and others during the operation.

However, the police had refused to register an FIR, saying that it would do so after consulting their legal branch.

Tariq Asad, the counsel for the petitioner, had said that they approached the concerned police station after the court’s decision but both the SHO and SSP refused to register the case. Earlier, Haroon had filed a written statement with the Aabpara police in which he said the former president had made threatening statements on two occasions before the military operation on the mosque was launched in July 2007.

The Lal Masjid operation was a 2007 government crackdown on the mosque in Islamabad, which ended in a bloody eight-day siege killing at least 58 Pakistani troops and seminary students.

A number of witnesses in their statements had alleged that Musharraf, then president of Pakistan, was responsible for the action.