KARACHI - Police have arrested a man for allegedly killing his two minor children within the limits of Garden police station. The accused was arrested late on Saturday night when he was supposedly trying to commit suicide by jumping down from the rooftop of his apartment after strangulating his two minor children to death inside their house situated near Fawara Chowk in Garden locality.

Accused Mohammad Munaf, 45, himself revealed to have killed his three-year-old daughter Amna and eleven-year-old Mohammad Hammad inside the house late on Saturday night, however; his wife, and two more children remained safe as they were not present in the house at the time of incident.

The accused was taken into custody from the rooftop of his building from where he was trying to jump down. Police have registered a case against him for murdering his two children and initiated further investigation. However, the accused would be produced before a court on today for remand. The accused said he was unemployed from the several months and due to unemployment, he was facing strong financial crisis, adding that due to financial crisis, he was unable to pay the rent of his house and his children were also expelled from the school.

The victims’ funeral prayers were offered at the local Masjid and later they were laid to rest at the Mewa Shah graveyard amid tears and sobs.  SHO Imdad Khwaja said a case has been registered while further investigations are underway.

Meanwhile, New Town police found a gunny bag dead body from Al-Hilal Society. DSP Nasir Lodhi said that the deceased was identified as Zeeshan Akhtar, resident of Chakwal, Punjab. Lodhi said that unidentified assailants after kidnapping the victim shot him dead over unexplained reason and threw his body at the said place.

Separately, a number of people of various localities staged a protest against constantly apprehension of Afghani community from the metropolis.  They blocked the main super highway for traffic for several hours.

According to details, scores of residents of Sohrab Goth, Al-Asif Square, Afghan Basti and other surrounding localities blocked the highway and set tyres on fire. They also pelted the passing vehicles with stones. The protesters threw stones at the policemen who reached there to disperse them.

In retaliation, police used intense aerial firing, teargas shells and charged them with batons; however, no arrest was made and the protest continued till late on Sunday.  The protesters said hundreds of Afghan-origin people have so far been apprehended during a crackdown against illegal immigrants in Sohrab Goth, Afghan Basti, Federal B Industrial Area, Civil Lines and Manghopir localities. They demanded the authorities concerned to take notice of the matter and ensure release of their loved ones.

Meanwhile, following the orders of Additional Inspector General, Ghulam Qadir Thiboo suspended Gulistan-e-Jauhar Police Station SHO Malik Saleem over his alleged links to land grabbers-cum-extortionists. DSP Qasim Ghauri and ASI Asif embraced martyrdom and around half dozen police officials including two SHOs were wounded during an alleged encounter with the gangsters in Madho Goth adjacent to the Safari Park on August 15 in which three alleged gangsters were also killed and nine suspects were later arrested during a search operation in Madho Goth, Hussain Hazara Goth and its neighbourhood.

SHO Saleem, who was also wounded in the encounter, got suspended after he found guilty during the inquiry conducted by Criminal Investigation Agency chief DIG Sultan Khwaja.