RAHIM YAR KHAN/NAWABSHAH  -  BILAL HABIB/ONLINE   -  Former Tehreek-e-Jafferia leader and Shia Ulema Council Bahawalpur Divisional President Sheikh Manzoor Hussain and his son were murdered near their home before Juma prayers here on Friday.

Sheikh Manzoor Hussain, 62, and his son Haider Manzoor left their residence in a car at Umer Block of Abbasia Town to offer Juma prayers and participate in a rally when four unidentified persons on two motorcycles intercepted them and opened fire. As a result, Sheikh Manzoor died on the spot while his son Haider expired on his way to hospital.

Their dead bodies were taken to Shaikh Zayed Medical College Hospital where relatives and protesters took the both bodies from the police after a quarrel with the DPO. The protesters brought the bodies to Imambargah Hussani, Railway Road, and raised slogans against the double murder.

As the information of their killing reached different corners of the city, protesters entered various bazaars and markets with sticks and weapons in their hands.

They started firing in the presence of police and misbehaved with women. Police failed to control the angry mob and stood away from the protesters as a silent spectator. The angry protesters broke the showcases of many shops in Nishtar Bazaar, Sadiq Bazaar, Milad Chowk and Railway Road and also resorted to aerial firing. Some protesters torched a Ramazan bazaar at Milad Chowk.

The incident caused panic among the people busy in the Eid shopping in different bazaars.

DCO Nabeel Javed told media people that the incident was very regrettable and the reaction was natural. He said the administration was vigilant and “we will not allow anyone to damage public property.”

He said the administration was trying to use all resources to keep peace in the city. He said the protesters who damaged the shops and other properties would be punished according to the law. Some vehicles of Rangers were also seen at Railway Chowk to control the law and order situation.

Meanwhile, a prominent religious leader, Yaqoob Qadri, was shot dead by unknown armed attackers in Nawabshah. Fear and tension gripped neighboring areas following his killing.

According to the police, two motorbike riders opened fire on Yaqoob Qadri in the Mohni Bazaar area of the city and fled, injuring the religious leader seriously. He was rushed to People’s Medical Centre, but doctors could not save his life.

Following the incident, armed persons opened aerial firing in different parts of the city and forced shopkeepers to close their shops.

The deceased religious leader’s funeral prayer was offered at Police Ground in Nawab Shah, after Juma prayers. Several religious organisations strongly condemned the killing of Yaqoob Qadri.