ISLAMABAD (Agencies) - Pakistan Friday denied claims by US officials that it had given the go-ahead for a North Atlantic Treaty Organization (Nato) strike on two Pakistani border posts last weekend, unaware that its soldiers were in the area. Pakistans military said in a statement that US officials had in fact given them wrong information about where Nato forces planned to launch the strike. Minutes later, Nato helicopters attacked a different position, levelling two Pakistan Army border positions and killing 24 Pakistani soldiers, the statement said. The Pakistan Army said in the statement that US officials at a border coordination centre later apologised privately for giving faulty coordinates. The army denied the border posts were temporary campsites - as US officials claimed in an article in the Wall Street Journal on Friday - but full military positions. The statement repeated Pakistans position that the Nato strikes, which they said lasted over an hour, were unprovoked and indiscriminate. Confusion and a communication breakdown prevented Pakistans airforce from scrambling to defend troops on the ground during the deadly Nato bombing, the military said. The military has said troops did fire back at the Nato choppers when they attacked. The statement said the response could have been more 'effective if the airforce had been called in, but this was not possible because of a 'breakdown of communication and confusion at 'various levels within the organisation. Our correspondent from New York adds: Earlier, giving a new twist to the raging controversy over the deadly Nato raid on Mohmand Agency border posts, the US officials Friday claimed they consulted with Pakistani officials who gave the go-ahead for the Nato attack, The Wall Street Journal reported. The officials at Pakistans border coordination centre were unaware that their troops were in the area on Saturday near the Afghan border, the newspaper reported, citing unnamed US officials familiar with initial investigations into the helicopter strike. An Afghan-US troop contingent searching for militants near the border came under fire from what they believed to be militants but the gunfire was actually from Pakistani troops camped nearby, the officials told the Journal. Permission for an airstrike was sought from a border coordination centre manned by Pakistani, Afghan and US officials, one official was quoted as saying. The Pakistani officials did not know Pakistani soldiers were in the area and gave the green light to the Nato attack in the Mohmand Agency, the official told the Journal, citing information gathered from preliminary investigations. The attack prompted Pakistan to boycott an international conference next week on the future of Afghanistan, where its presence is seen as crucial to securing a peaceful future for it neighbour, given their geographical proximity and the need for Pakistans military in the war against Taliban militants. It also worsened US-Pakistani relations already strained by a US commando raid inside Pakistan that killed Osama bin Laden. US officials told the Journal that both sides made mistakes ahead of the attack. The Afghan-US force involved had not informed the coordination centre, which was established to share information and prevent conflicts, that it was carrying out an operation in the area. US officials have been reluctant in the past to share such information with Pakistan because of worry that it would leak out, the Journal reported. There were lots of mistakes made, one official was quoted as saying. There was not good situational awareness to who was where and who was doing what. Pakistan closed its border crossings that the United States and Nato use to supply their soldiers in Afghanistan in the wake of the attack, which provoked protests in Pakistan against the United States and Nato. NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen called the attack a tragic, unintended incident, and the United States expressed condolences while ordering the investigation.