QUETTA-A senior official of UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) John Solecki was kidnapped while his driver was brutally gunned down by armed persons in broad daylight at Chaman Housing Scheme Society here on Monday. According to police sources, unknown gunmen opened fire on the vehicle of head of UNHCR Balochistan Solecki as soon as he left the home for office as a result, driver of the vehicle received bullet wounds and lost the control of vehicle. The vehicle collided with a wall whereas attackers abducted John Solecki and drove him towards unknown location. The driver identified as Syed Hashim Raza died due to critical bullet wounds on the way to hospital. According to sources, John Solecki is from US and has been serving in Quetta for more than two years as head of UNHCR. Police and other law-enforcement agencies rushed to the spot soon after the incident and cordoned off the area and started collecting evidences from the crime scene. An eyewitness told The Nation that unknown persons,riding a vehicle opened fire at UNHCR Land Cruiser as it came out of house which rammed against a wall of a building and later kidnappers opened fire on the driver and dragged John Solecki into the vehicle and drove him away. A UN spokeswoman in Islamabad Amena Ali Kamal said that details were unclear while they were still investigating and were working with the police in Quetta. She said John Solecki was looking after professional matters in Quetta and investigations have been started into the incident. Talking to newsmen Quetta city police officer Humayun Jogezai confirmed the abduction of John Solecki and said that Frontier Corps and other law-enforcement agencies had been put on high alert and raids were being conducted in all suspected areas. DIG operation Quetta Wazir Khan Nasir told newsmen that two vehicles were used for abduction of UNHCR head John Solecki. He said that the UN officials working in Quetta had not received any such threat. He informed that John Solecki was provided complete security, however, he mostly did not keep security personnel with himself and used to go office without security personnel. He said that personnel of UN and US citizens mostly live in Islamabad, however, he had come to Quetta for an important work. He said that security had been beefed up and search drive had been started for the immediate recovery of abductee. Responding to a question, he said that security has also been tightened at the offices of UN and foreign NGOs after the incident. Chief Minister Balochistan, Nawab Muhammad Aslam Raisani condemned the incident and ordered the early recovery of the official. However, so far no organisation has claimed responsibility for the kidnapping. Staff reporter from Islamabad adds: Pakistan Monday condemned the abduction of senior UN official in Quetta saying all necessary steps were being taken for his safe recovery. "Foreign Minister Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Qureshi strongly condemned the kidnapping of John Solecki, Head of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Office in Quetta," said a Foreign Office statement. According to the statement, the government is taking all necessary measures for the safe and early recovery of UNHCR official. In this unfortunate and dastardly terrorist act, Syed Hashim Raza, the driver of Solecki, was killed. Qureshi also extended deep condolences to the bereaved family of Raza. AFP adds: - In Geneva the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antonio Guterres on Monday expressed "deep shock and sadness" after gunmen kidnapped a top American UN official and killed his driver in Pakistan. "The targeting of those who help the world's most vulnerable people leaves all of us deeply shocked and saddened," said Guterres in a statement. "On behalf of all UNHCR staff worldwide, I extend our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of Syed Hashim, who leaves behind a wife, two daughters and two sons," Guterres said. "We also express our solidarity with John's family and assure them we are doing everything possible to secure his release," he added.