Rawalpindi - An anti-terrorism court yesterday issued notice to former Interior Minister Rehman Malik to record his statement in Benazir Bhutto (BB) assassination case.

Malik was been directed by the court to appear in person on the next date of hearing i.e. February 8, 2016.

Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has included the name of Malik as prosecution witness in the list provided to the ATC.

Commenting on the issue, Advocate Naseer Tanvali said that he had seen the complete investigation report of FIA that was submitted with the court. He said that Malik had given no statement to investigation officers in the case. He added that no investigator had stated before the court that he questioned or recorded statement of Malik in BB murder case.

FIA Special Public Prosecutor Chaudhry Azhar Ali while talking to media said that defence lawyers carried out cross-examination of SSP Waqar Chohan, who was serving in Rawalpindi in 2007 when Benazir was killed outside Liaquat Bagh. He said that the court could summon the prosecution witnesses who were included in the calendar of witnesses.

On the other side, a close aide of Rehman Malik, when contacted, said that Malik had not received any notice from ATC so far in BB murder case. He said that former interior minister would definitely face the trial court if he received the notice. “I think the court will summon Malik to confirm the meetings held among him (Malik), Benazir and former president and military dictator General (Retd) Pervez Musharraf,” he said in response to a question. “The court can summon any person for questioning who is related to Benazir,” he said seeking anonymity.