Rawalpindi - An area magistrate yesterday granted police three days physical remand of an accused arrested for his alleged involvement in setting the female teacher on fire after sprinkling kerosene oil in Upper Dewel Village of Murree.

The court ordered police to reproduce the accused after three days for further proceeding against him.   

Earlier, a police team of Murree led by Sub Inspector Mazhar Ikram produced the accused Riffat Mehmood before Anti Terrorism Court (ATC) Number 2 and sought physical remand. ATC No 2 Special Judge Asif Majeed Awan, however, refused to grant requested remand to police, saying there were no terrorism charges against the accused and ordered police to present him before the court of area magistrate.

Later, the police produced the accused before the court of area magistrate Asad Sajjad in Murree and pleaded physical remand of 7 days. The judge rejected the request of police and only granted three days physical remand of the accused.

On the other hand, Additional Inspector General (IG) Finance Sohail Khan went back Lahore after inquiring the gruesome incident in Murree, sources disclosed to The Nation. They said that the Additional IG visited crime scene, recorded statements of heirs of the deceased girl Maria Sadaqat and also interacted with area people.

The investigator also held meetings with local police, sources added.

Meanwhile, Special Branch of Punjab Police dispatched its final report about the incident to Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) SB Fazal-e-Hamid mentioning that according to ground realities and evidences the girl committed self-immolation after getting dishearten from the attitude of parents of Haroon, son of Master Shaukat, who is main accused in girl burning case and is at large.

Sources said that it was also mentioned in the report that Maria Sadaqat was teaching in the academy owned by Master Shuakat where she developed relations with Haroon, a married man having one daughter. The parents of Haroon sent proposal at the home of Maria which was rejected by her parents, sources said, adding later the parents of girl showed their willingness for the marriage but Master Shaukat refused to knot tie of Haroon with Maria. On this, they said, the girl committed self-immolation.

Station House Officer (SHO) Police Station (PS) Murree Sana Ullah, when contacted, said that police obtained physical remand of the accused in girl burning case. He said that the matter was being investigated and police were collecting evidences. He said that raids were being conducted to arrest the other accused involved in the case.