ISLAMABAD - The case of Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was not the trial of murder, but a 'murder of trial argued Dr Babar Awan on Monday before an 11-member larger bench of the Supreme Court hearing a presidential reference for revisiting the death sentence of former prime minister. This is the only case transferred to the Lahore High Court directly by the judges without hearing Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and his lawyers, said the federation counsel. He said FIR against Bhutto was registered in 1974, whereas an incomplete challan was presented in 1977. He said during pendency of the FIR no investigation was carried out. We have to see how the FIR registered in 1974 was activated in 1977, the court noted. Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry observed that how a murder case was reopened against former prime minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto in 1977 in which there was no evidence against him in 1975. The Chief Justice noted that when martial law was imposed on July 5, 1977, the investigation of the case was started. He said everyone present in the courtroom should be aware of the case facts. We have to review every question of the reference, the CJP added. Awan contended that in the democratic era judiciary is independent, however in 1977 there was martial law in the country and judiciary was not independent. In 1977, he said there was an era of a new world order, in which rising of Muslim Ummah was disappointing for many powers. At that time, he said, a Muslim state was going to become a nuclear power. He said Bhutto had told the trial court that he was being punished for making the country a nuclear power. He said the trial of Bhutto was initiated at a time when constitution was suspended while judiciary was not independent. Referring to a Lahore High Court order passed on September 13, 1977 transferring the trial of Bhutto, the counsel submitted that the then acting LHC?CJ Maulvi Mushtaq Ahmed transferred the trial of Bhutto to a five-member bench constituted and headed by him without mentioning any application filed for transfer of the trial. He said the order for transfer of case had not been made part of the record. To a court query, he said the case investigation was closed on October 1, 1975, however reopened in 1977. He said the investigation was not carried out by police. APP add: The Supreme Court on Monday expressed its astonishment over the incomplete interim challan which was made a base for registration of FIR against late Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and how an untraced plea was moved for transfer of case to the Lahore High Court.