The City has become ungovernable in the last few days. We have protests and traffic snarls all over the place. The protesters in these demonstrations, it seems, tried to make their point with full force, putting even the Punjab government and its strong man, Shahbaz Sharif at the back foot. First, it was the GCU students making headlines with public perturbed over the treatment being meted out to these young, tender aged students by the university management and brutal police. The students held a big demonstration first outside the university premises against their management and disciplinary measures it has been struggling to enforce, probably without students' cooperation. Naturally, they might have come on the roads after getting some real cold shoulder from the administration. As the students marched on the roads, the management too decided to show its muscle, coming with a real heavy hand on the agitating students without thinking for a moment its repercussions. The response was so jerky as if the GCU has been occupied by some external forces. In its bid to make a horrible example of the students participating in the agitation, it brought the police in the picture. It called a heavy contingent of police around the university premises to deter the students from staging further protests. The police top guns were asked to register cases against the trouble-makers. The police not using its own mind then went after these protestors using all the third degree methods it have in its armoury. A couple of students arrested were brought to court hand-cuffed, creating a real scene in the court room. Despite heavy crack down, the students continued their protest with their ranks kept swelling. Next day they staged another demonstration in front of Lahore Press Club, pleading their case against the high-handedness of the administration. Inhuman treatment meted out to the students, probably worst in the country, and hue and cry raised by their parents ruffled a few feathers in Punjab government. The public reading the stories about cold-blooded attitude of all authorities concerned, further caused a public outcry. Hence, the intervention from the Punjab government and Lahore High Court. The cases were withdrawn and students released from the police captivity. The whole sordid episode is a very strong verdict against the university management, especially the VC and Registrar, showing the types running our premier educational institutes these days, bigoted, narrow-minded and short-tempered, not intellectually well-versed to stay at the helm of affair. The issue also underlined graphically why institutions like GCU failed to progress and excel on the world educational map. It hardly figures anywhere in the world ranking, nor there is any desire to achieve any standing in the people managing its affairs, it seems. An issue that could have been handled at a very small level, with a little pep talk involving a senior and popular professors or lecturers, was allowed to get out of hands just to satisfy a few bloated egos.  Somebody needs to talk to the leadership of GCU that institutions are run through inspiration and motivation and not through repressive tactics. The administration should keep in mind that it is running a university and not small-time academy of FSC students. The incident again is a very strong verdict against the police-the part it played in aggravating the situation. Instead of persuading the GCU management to first put its own house in order in a more imaginative way, it did a hatchet job on the students, booking them under ATA laws, reserved for the terrorists or those posing real threat to public order. The incident shows that police is not capable of performing law and order duties which require more of subtle tactics than the use of brute force all the times. Another protest which took its toll on the public order and nerves was the one staged by doctors. The other day hundreds of doctors staged sit-in on the busy Jail Road, agitating against the arrest of a few doctors. These doctors were sent to jail on the order of Chief Minister for administering unhealthy blood to a youngster, causing his instant death. It was the lengthiest protest the city witnessed more recently, with doctors not ready to quit before their colleagues were not released. The dispersal took place after assurance from the top level. The next day doctors were out, but not before the Chief Minister putting his message in very strong terms: the doctors should not take people's lives for granted, especially those coming to them from not so privileged background.