LAHORE - Fifty-five-year-old Shakir Ali has been fighting for life at the intensive car unit (ICU) of the Services Hospital in Lahore. He has not been informed about the death of his son and wife, who were killed in the suicide attack near Wagah border on Sunday evening.

His wife Naziran Bibi died on her way to a hospital while his son Muhammad Shahbaz died on-the-spot. His family members say that they deliberately withheld the information keeping in mind the serious condition of the victim. Doctors say there are chances that Shakir will be able to go home within days. But his son and wife would have been buried in the local graveyard before his home coming. Police sources said that several children are among the dead and injured.

Heart-rending scenes were seen in different public hospitals in Lahore where the dead and injured were brought in on ambulances after the suicide bombing at Wagah border.

For an instance, several members of one family died in the blast. Most of the people who died in the blast were those who were returning from the flag-lowering ceremony that took place around 6pm.

At least 13 people of two different families are among those dead in the terrorist attack. Eight members of a same family who died in the terror strike are said to be the residents of Samundari, district Faisalabad. Eyewitness said that the blast took place just ten minutes after the flag ceremony concluded.

A 40-year-old woman Shumaila Bibi was seen impatiently running in the corridors of the Services Hospital when she was searching for her husband Adnan Manzoor, also among the injured.  Muhammad Habeeb, a 30-year-old waiter at a canteen near the Wagah border, told this reporter that the blast shook the entire building when he was at work. “I was washing the plates and cups when I heard a huge blast, all of a sudden,” he said.

Meanwhile, the funeral prayers of three Pakistan Rangers personnel were held at the Yadgar-e-Shuhda ground at the Punjab Rangers Headquarters late Sunday night.  CCPO Amin Wains, DCO Dr Usman and other senior government officials visited the crimes scene and public hospitals to supervise rescue and search operations.

Batapur Police have registered a case against unidentified terrorists.