The fate of Indian state of Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy remained uncertain Wednesday night after a helicopter carrying him went missing over a dense forest area since morning, prompting a continuing massive search operation, reports Indian TV channel Doordarshan. The 60-year-old Indian Congress leader, who led the party to a remarkable victory in the recent Assembly and Lok Sabha polls, left Hyderabad for Chitoor at 8:35am in a twin-engined Bell helicopter which lost contact an hour later. There was no trace of the helicopter, which got lost in bad weather. Amid fears that the helicopter may have force landed or crashed, the IAFs Sukhoi 30MK1 aircraft with synthetic aperture radar for high resolution ground mapping even at night and a pilotless low-flying ISRO aircraft were scouring the thick Nallamalai forests in Kurnool district in the Rayalaseema region. Throughout the day as many as seven helicopters searched the area but met with no success. In the evening, several thousand CRPF and other police personnel were deployed for a night-long ground search. As hours passed by worries about the safety of the Chief Minister, his Principal Secretary Subramanyam, Chief Security Officer A S C Wesley and the two pilots mounted as no contact was established. The most optimistic scenario was that the VVIP helicopter may have been forced to land and those on board may be stranded in the jungles, where Naxals could pose a lurking danger though. The Andhra Pradesh government has sought Centres help to get US Defence Department help in securing real-time imagery as Indian efforts in this regard were poor due to heavy cloud formation. Three Indian Air Force helicopters from Bangalore and a private chopper from Nellore scoured the area where the helicopter is believed to have gone missing. Two helicopters from Air Command in Secunderabad returned because of incessant rains. In New Delhi, Home Minister P Chidambaram said the search operation by helicopters has been called off because of light and weather conditions and will resume tomorrow morning. There is no good news yet. We are keeping our fingers crossed. Our prayers are with Rajasekhara Reddy and his family, he told reporters. However, Chidambaram said the search on foot by forest and revenue officials was on around the point where they think the helicopter was last seen. Police and CRPF personnel were also moving on foot. They would reach there in an hour or so. The helicopter, which took off from old Begumpet airport at 8:35am and lost radio contact at 9:35am, was heading for Chitoor district, over 600km from Hyderabad in the Southwestern end of the state, where he was to attend some functions.