QUETTA - At least 12 people, including women and children, were killed and more than 25 others wounded in a suicide attack near an Eidgah in the provincial capital Wednesday morning. Banned outfit Lashkar-i-Jhangvi claimed responsibility for the bombing that dampened the celebrations of Eidul Fitr in the province. The suicide bomber detonated his explosive-laden vehicle in a parking lot near the Eidgah in Marriabad, a Shia-populated locality, after Eidul Fitr prayers on Major Muhammad Ali Shaheed Road. Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Ehsan Mehboob said the bomber was in a car who tried to target congregation at the Eidgah. The people were returning home after offering Eid prayers when they came under attack, he said, adding that some passers-by fell prey to the assault. According to sources, five people were killed on the spot and another five, including women and children, succumbed to wounds on their way to hospital while more than 25 others sustained critical injuries. Personnel of law enforcement agencies, rescuers, firemen and volunteers rushed to spot and took the bodies and injured to the city hospitals where emergency had been declared. The condition of some wounded was stated to be serious. The victims belonged to the Shia community, the sources said. Ten deceased were identified as Fatima Bibi, her eight-year-old daughter Shahnaz, Yousuf, Haji Siddiq, Jaffar Shah, Muhammad Rahem, Haji Abdul Qayyum, Ali Baba, Jan Ali, Sher Ali and Nirgas Bibi. On Thursday, two more people succumbed to their injuries at CMH, raising death toll to 12. The blast was so powerful that more than 10 cars caught fire and the roofs of two houses were collapsed while one house was damaged partially. The explosion also destroyed some shops. It was a sectarian attack, Deputy Inspector General (Investigations) Nazir Kurd said. He added that police recovered the head and hands of suicide bomber which were sent for DNA test to ascertain the identity of assailant. Security was beefed up around the area. However, scores of angry people shouted slogans against the government and law enforcement agencies. According to an eyewitness, the blast rattled the floor and smoke and flames were emitting from the destroyed cars and houses. The fire-fighters extinguished the fire after 30-minute hectic effort. The Bomb Disposal Squad officials said over 40-kilogramme explosive material was used in the blast and hand grenades were also recovered from the site. Claiming the responsibility for the attack, Lashkar-i-Jhangvi spokesman Ali Sher Haideri phoned different media offices from unspecified location and said his organisation carried out the suicide attack. He said the outfit would continue targeting the Shia community. Chief Minister Nawab Aslam Raisani strongly condemned the attack and directed the authorities concerned to constitute two committees to investigate and unearth the extremists behind the massacre. Meanwhile, the local Shia community announced seven-day mourning. Addressing a news conference, Shia Conference leader Alama Mosavi demanded the government unearth the culprits. The victims were later laid to rest at the Hazara graveyard. Qaidabad Police have registered a case and started investigation. However, no arrest was made till filing of this story.