SARGODHA - The additional superintendent of police, who shot dead 23-year-old Tahir over a car-parking row in front of Circuit House main gate on Eidul Fitr, has been found guilty in the police investigation report. He has also confessed to the murder.

Sargodha Additional SP Nasir Muneef was sent behind bars on August 22. As per the case details, on Eidul Fitr night, Tahir, a resident of Farooq Colony, had gone out with his friends Waleed, Arslan and Waqas on two of their cars. Around 11:00 pm, they parked their one car in front of Circuit House Gate and went to the City Centre by the other car. Meanwhile, the SP reached the Circuit House and started abusing because of the car parked in front of the gate and opened point blank fire on one of the friends. At least 10 bullets were fired: empty-shells recovered and sent for FSL Comparison with pistol. While 3 bullets hit their cars, one of the wayward bullets hit one of the friends Tahir below his right shoulder from the back side, according to the post-mortem report. 

As per the probe, after the firing, the Addl SP, with the help of his guards arrested two friends, Waqas and Arslan along with their car, the tyres of which were already burst by the firing, while Waleed managed to escape. The Add SP then, through his official operator/guard relayed a wireless called at 11:05 pm that a white corolla bearing number LXA-2975 had fired in front of Circuit House Gate and escaped (which was in fact busted) and it should be chased and rounded-up by the police vehicles patrolling in and around the City.

Just one minute later, at 11:06 pm, the Add SP's operator/guard made another wireless call to the Police City Control Room that the said car has been rounded-up in front of the Circuit House Gate by them along with the two riders and local Police (Mobile Cantt-I) should be dispatched to the scene to arrest them. These boys were then taken to the Police Station by his guards and the police.

The arrested boys were not aware of the fact that the person was Add SP. The Add SP, a few minutes after the incident, on receiving the news that a boy was injured by gunshot in front of Circuit House and he has died in Civil Hospital, escaped to Lahore along with his family. Meanwhile, he switched off his and his guards' mobile phones.

On the other side, the deceased's father, Ejaz Cheema, lodged an FIR with the Cantt Police and an inquiry was launched against the accused.

A team of police officers collected eye witnesses' account and circumstantial evidence. The Additional SP was nominated in the FIR as the actual culprit, while the friends of the deceased absolved of the charges were released, declared innocent and associated into the formal investigation as important eye-witnesses. A team of officials of Sargodha/ Lahore Police arrested the culprit from near Model Town Link Road Lahore through GPS-based vehicle tracking system, installed in the official Police Vehicle. DIG Sargodha Amjad Javed Saleemi, supervised the probe. The accused Add SP being found guilty was sent to District Jail Sargodha, for facing trial on murder charges, after recovery of the weapon of offence (Official 9mm-Beretta Pistol bearing No. H-60448-Z, issued to the Addl SP), and his private car and other relevant evidence. Police Investigation has now collected all information, evidence and accounts/statements of eye witnesses and formally prepared the final investigation report for presenting it in the court.

The Add SP, before being sent to Jail, confessed his crime before DIG Sargodha Mr. Amjad Javed Saleemi and other senior police officers and requested them to pull him out of the mess he has created for himself, his family and friends.

Earlier, the Inspector General of Police suspended the Add SP on the recommendation of the DIG Sargodha and requested the Establishment Division to further proceed against him under the Law (PEEDA). The findings of Investigation of this case are made public by the police department itself.