QUETTA - A complete shutter down strike was observed in the provincial capital on Sunday to protest against the targeted killing of seven persons belonging to Shia community in Hazar Ganzi area.

Seven persons from the Hazara community were gunned down in two separate sectarian incidents in Hazar Ganji, on outskirts of the provincial capital on Saturday morning.

The banned religious outfit Lashkar-i-Jhangvi’s spokesman Abu Bakar Siddiq had claimed responsibility for the killings.

The killing of members of Hazara community sparked violent protests in which two people were killed and 11 others were wounded. The strike call was given by the Hazara Democratic Party which was also supported by Tahfuz-e-Izadari Council, Tehrik Nifaz-i-Jaffaria, Balochistan Shia Conference, trader unions and other major political parties. All business centres and commercial establishments within the commercial district of Quetta remained closed throughout the day.

All the main trade centres located on Jinnah Road, Abdul Sattar Road, Kansi Road, Almdar Road, Thoughy Road, Brewery Road, Mission Road, McChangi Road, Prince Road,  Liaqut Bazaar, Fatima Jinnah Road, Masjid Road and other surrounding areas of the City were closed. Traffic was thin on the roads as people preferred to stay at homes supporting the strike call.

The routine life in the provincial capital remained paralysed on Sunday as a result of the strike. A large number of law-enforcement agencies, personnel of Frontier Crops (FC), Police, Balochistan Constabulary (BC), Anti-Terrorist Force (ATF) were deployed in the provincial capital to check any untoward incident.

Meanwhile, a man was killed and another wounded in two separate incidents of firing in the provincial capital, on Sunday.

In the first incident, unidentified armed men opened indiscriminate fire in Killi Bangulzai area. As a result, Muhammad Khalid sustained serious wounds and succumbed to his critical wounds when being shifted to a hospital. The assailants fled from the scene after committing the crime. Police handed over the body to his heirs after completing legal formalities. However, motive behind the murder is yet to be ascertained.

In another incident, unknown armed men opened fire on a water tanker on Kirani Road. Resultantly, the driver of water tanker received multiple wounds and was rushed to a hospital for medical treatment.

Police have registered two separate cases and further investigations were under way.