KINSHASA - An outbreak of the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo has killed 31 people and the epidemic remains contained in a remote northwestern region, UN the World Health Organization (WHO) said Tuesday. ‘There are now 31 deaths,’ Eugene Kambambi, the WHO’s head of communication in DR Congo , told AFP, citing Congolese authorities and stressing that the epidemic ‘remains contained’ in an area around 800 kilometres (500 miles) north of the capital Kinshasa. Health officials had previously given a death toll of 13 people from the lethal haemorrhagic fever since August 11 around the isolated town of Boende, surrounded by dense tropical forest in Equateur province.