BANGKOK (AFP) - The first international flight in a week left Bangkok's main airport Wednesday after protesters ended a crippling siege, bringing relief to tourists even as Thailand's political turmoil rumbled on. The end of the blockade came a day after the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) claimed victory against Premier Somchai Wongsawat, when a court barred him from politics and disbanded the ruling party. Officials said 388 passengers were on the Thai Airways flight to Sydney that departed from Suvarnabhumi Airport, most of them Australian tourists who were among the 350,000 travellers stranded in Thailand for the past eight days. "It's really good to go back home," Australian Brad Wheeler told AFP as he waited for the Sydney flight, which left nearly 90 minutes late due to problems getting passengers from a makeshift check-in desk in central Bangkok. A handful of domestic flights and a plane from Jordan also trickled in to the three-billion-dollar airport, while international departures to New Delhi, Narita, Frankfurt, Seoul and Copenhagen were due during the night. Hundreds of yellow-clad demonstrators had earlier streamed out of Suvarnabhumi and the Don Mueang domestic airport in cars, taxis and buses after the royalist PAD handed over control to authorities. But with the former government vowing to regroup and vote next week to choose Thailand's third premier in as many months, there was little hope of long-term stability for the kingdom. "We will come back when the nation needs us," warned Somkiat Pongpaibul, a key leader of the PAD, which groups Bangkok's urban elite and middle classes, backed by elements from both the military and the palace. Acting PM Chavarat Charnvirakul said parliament would likely vote on a new prime minister on Monday or Tuesday. "In the next two weeks I think we will come again," said protester Pas Apinantpreeda. Thai authorities concentrated Wednesday on getting the airport up and running following a week in which governments around the world have operated emergency flights to evacuate desperate tourists. Until Wednesday they were being ferried slowly out of a naval base southeast of Bangkok and a handful of regional airports. "We will try and get everything back to normal as soon as possible," said Airports of Thailand chief Vudhibhandhu Vichairatana. Damage from the occupation had not yet been estimated, Vudhibhandhu said. But Thai Airways said it alone had lost about 560 million dollars. AFP correspondents saw hundreds of protesters piling their belongings on private vehicles, cabs and coaches at both airports. Some lined up for souvenir autographs of PAD leaders. The movement's co-founder, Chamlong Srimuang, hugged and shook hands with the chief of the airport authority at Suvarnabhumi before bowing down in front of a portrait of Thailand's much-revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej. The protesters accused Somchai's administration of acting as a proxy for exiled former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was ousted in a military coup in 2006, and of being hostile to the monarchy.