BAGHDAD (AFP) - Around 500 candidates barred from Iraqs March 7 general election for alleged links to executed dictator Saddam Hussein will be allowed to stand, an electoral official told AFP on Wednesday. Politicians from Iraqs Sunni Arab minority, which dominated Saddams regime, were enraged over the original disqualifications and both Washington and the United Nations had voiced concern they might undermine the elections credibility. They have the right to run in the election, said Hamdiyah al-Husseini, a senior official from the Independent High Electoral Commission (IHEC). The appeal court will look at their file after the election, and if they find them to have links to Saddams outlawed Baath party, they will be eliminated, she said. Earlier on Friday, UN envoy Ad Melkert called on Iraq to strike a balance between the need to exclude former allies of Saddam and ensure a fair election. He said discussions with Iraqi leaders in recent days had focused on the need for the vote to be conducted in a credible manner ... leading to an outcome acceptable to the Iraqi people. They must balance the critical need for justice and accountability of those that have in the past been part of oppressive regimes and the need for peace, reconciliation and inclusion in the democratic process, he said in a statement. It is not up to the UN to make specific political requests or to advise on how the Iraqi courts should resolve pending judicial cases. What matters is a proper legal basis for decisions, including the right for candidates that their appeal is carefully considered and to remain a candidate until such an appeal has been dealt with appropriately. The election blacklist included candidates from both the Sunni Arab former elite and the Shiite majority that leads the current government. But analysts warned the barring of those with alleged links to Saddam from what is only Iraqs second parliamentary election since the US-led invasion of 2003 could exclude Sunnis from politics and stoke sectarian tensions.